High throughput projection UV lithography of high-aspect-ratio thick SU-8 microstructures
- 228 Downloads
This paper presents a method and an ultra-violet (UV) lithography system to fabricate high-aspect-ratio microstructures (HARMS) with good sidewall quality and nice dimension control to meet the requirement for industrial high throughput and high yield production of micro devices. The advantages, equipment, working principle of UV projection scanning exposure, and scanning exposure strategies are introduced first. Following the numerical simulation for the UV projection scanning exposure of thick SU-8 photoresist, experiment results are demonstrated for different exposure strategies. With Continually Changing Focus Projection Scanning (CCFPS), SU-8 microstructures with 860 μm high and 15 μm feature size are demonstrated. For microstructure with 866 μm height, 20 μm width, from the top layer to the bottom layer, the dimension can be controlled in the range of +0.7 to −1.7 μm; also, the vertical sidewall angle can be controlled inside 90 ± 0.16°. It approves that the CCFPS exposure for HARMS can achieve much straighter and more vertical sidewall compared with UV contact print or UV projection exposure with focusing image on the resist surface or an optimized depth.
KeywordsMask Pattern Vertical Sidewall Energy Contour Projection Lens Sidewall Angle
The authors would like to thank Tamarack Scientific Co., Inc. and its support for this project. The authors also would like to thank other engineers from Tamarack Scientific for their supports and helpful discussions in optics, mechanics, electrical hardware, software program, and motion control.
- Lorenz H, Despont M, Fahrni N, Labianca N, Vettiger P, Renaud P (1996) EPON SU-8: a low-cost negative resist for MEMS. In: Proceedings of Micro Mechanics Europe’96, Barcelona, pp 32–35Google Scholar
- LaBianca NC, Gelorme JD (1995) High-aspect-ratio resist for thick-film applications. In: SPIE, conference proceeding of advances in resist technology and processing XII, vol 2438, June, pp 846–852Google Scholar
- LaBianca NC, Gelorme J, Lee K, Sullivan E, Shaw J (1995) High aspect ratio optical resist chemistry for MEMS applications. In: Proceedings of the 4th international symposium on magnetic materials processes, and devices. Electrochem Soc, 95–18 (1995), pp 386–396Google Scholar
- Song Y, Kumar CS, Hormes J (2004) Fabrication of an SU-8 based microfluidic reactor on a PEEK substrate sealed by a ‘flexible semi-sold transfer’ (FST) process. J Micromech Microeng J Micromech Microeng 14:932–940Google Scholar
- Wong TS, Huang A, Ho C-M (2005) SU-8 Lift-off patterned silicone chemical vapor sensor arrays. In: Proceedings of IEEE MEMS, pp 754–757Google Scholar