Raising opportunities in strategic alliance by evaluating efficiency of logistics companies in Vietnam: a case of Cat Lai Port
- 37 Downloads
The current context of Vietnam is that Vietnam is a developing country whose geographical shape is long and dynamic. Its logistics is also in the way of development and promising to have good potential. However, lack experience and technology, small and fragmented operation, fierce price competition among local enterprises, domination from foreign logistics giants are that factors that may hinder the growth of the local sector. It is then believed that cooperation among local firms could promote integration of the supply chain, making it more productive and so increase competitiveness of the industry. The study was conducted to evaluate the efficiency of Vietnamese transportation and logistics firms using Malmquist Productivity Index, crafting a clearer picture of how these firms performed in terms of technical efficiency and innovation. Cat Lai Port being a key role in the industry was taken as a case to analyse strategic alliance opportunities using data envelopment analysis and Grey forecasting. Research findings indicate that half of the samples experienced efficiency progress, half experienced performance regress; most of efficiency improvement came from innovation. The study also found that strategic alliances between Cat Lai Port and some firms potentially improve these firms’ efficiency.
KeywordsEfficiency Strategic alliance Logistics Malmquist DEA GM(1,1)
The authors would like to thank Ms. Nguyen Hai Ngoc, an undergraduate student from the bachelor program in Business Administration, School of Business, International University – Vietnam National University, HCMC for her editorial assistance.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that there is no conflict of interests regarding the publication of this paper.
- 2.Bowersox DJ (1989) Leading edge logistics—competitive positioning for the 1990s. Council of Logistics Management, Oak Brook, Illinois. https://hbr.org/1990/07/the-strategic-benefits-of-logistics-alliances. Accessed June 2017
- 6.Chia-Nan W, Ty NN (2013) Forecasting the manpower requirement in Vietnamese tertiary institutions. Asian J Empir Res 3(5):563–575Google Scholar
- 8.Delcea C, Popa CDS, Bolos M (2015) Consumers’ decisions in grey online social networks. J Grey Syst 27(4):12–28Google Scholar
- 9.Färe R, Grosskopf S, Norris M, Zhang Z (1994) Productivity growth, technical progress, and efficiency change in industrialized countries. Am Econ Rev 84(1):66–83Google Scholar
- 11.Flexport (2016) What the new ocean carrier alliances mean to your freight. https://www.flexport.com/blog/what-are-ocean-alliances/. Accessed Apr 2017
- 12.Fraunhofer (2016) Port cooperation between European seaports—fundamentals, challenges and good practices. http://www.guengl.eu/uploads/publications-documents/CMLReportPortCooperationvFINAL.PDF. Accessed Apr 2017
- 18.Lee CY, Johnson AL (2012) Operational efficiency. The handbook of industrial and systems engineering. http://polab.imis.ncku.edu.tw/Book%20Chapter/Operational%20Efficiency.pdf. Accessed May 2017
- 22.Nguyen NT, Tran TT (2016) Facilitating an advanced product layout to prioritize hot lots in 450 mm wafer foundry in the semiconductor industry. Int J Adv Appl Sci 3(6):14–23Google Scholar
- 25.Nguyen NT, Tran TT, Wang CN, Nguyen NT (2015) Optimization of strategic alliances by integrating DEA and grey model. J Grey Syst 27(1):38–56Google Scholar
- 26.Oxford Business Group (2016) Vietnam loading up on logistics. http://www.oxfordbusinessgroup.com/news/vietnam-loading-logistics. Accessed Apr 2017
- 28.Stoxplus (2016) Vietnam logistics market 2016 report. https://biinform.com/Reports/DBB-vietnam-logistic-market-2016-report-.html. Accessed Apr 2017
- 35.VCCINews (2013) Creating momentum for Vietnam’s logistics to take off. http://vccinews.com/news_detail.asp?news_id=29618. Accessed Apr 2017
- 37.Wang CN, Tsai JH, Teng HC (2008) An approach on alliance for online game industry. In: 3rd International conference on innovative computing information and control, ICICIC’08. IEEEGoogle Scholar
- 39.World Bank (2014) Efficient logistics: a key to Vietnam’s competitiveness. http://www.worldbank.org/en/news/feature/2014/01/07/efficient-logistics-a-key-to-vietnams-competitiveness. Accessed May 2017
- 40.Yoshino MY, Rangan S (1995) Strategic alliances: an entrepreneurial approach to globalization. Harvard University Press, Cambridge, p 5Google Scholar