Coverless image steganography using partial-duplicate image retrieval
- 100 Downloads
Most of the existing image steganographic approaches embed the secret information imperceptibly into a cover image by slightly modifying its content. However, the modification traces will cause some distortion in the stego-image, especially when embedding color image data that usually contain thousands of bits, which makes successful steganalysis possible. In this paper, we propose a novel coverless steganographic approach without any modification for transmitting secret color image. In our approach, instead of modifying a cover image to generate the stego-image, steganography is realized by using a set of proper partial duplicates of a given secret image as stego-images, which are retrieved from a natural image database. More specifically, after dividing each database image into a number of non-overlapping patches and indexing those images based on the features extracted from these patches, we search for the partial duplicates of the secret image in the database to obtain the stego-images, each of which shares one or several visually similar patches with the secret image. At the receiver end, by using the patches of the stego-images, our approach can approximately recover the secret image. Since the stego-images are natural ones without any modification traces, our approach can resist all of the existing steganalysis tools. Experimental results and analysis prove that our approach not only has strong resistance to steganalysis, but also has desirable security and high hiding capability.
KeywordsCoverless steganographic approach Partial-duplicate image retrieval Stego-image Capacity Security
This work was supported, in part, by the National Natural Science Foundation of China under grant numbers 61602253, U1536206, 61232016, U1405254, 61373132, 61373133, 61502242, 61572258, and 61672294; in part, by the Jiangsu Basic Research Programs-Natural Science Foundation under grant numbers BK20150925 and BK20151530; in part, by the Priority Academic Program Development of Jiangsu Higher Education Institutions (PAPD) fund; and in part, by the Collaborative Innovation Center of Atmospheric Environment and Equipment Technology (CICAEET) fund, China.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflicts of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- Cao Y, Zhou Z, Sun X, Gao C (2018) Coverless information hiding based on the molecular structure images of material. Comput Mater Continua 54(2):197–207Google Scholar
- Chen B, Zhou C, Jeon B, Zheng Y, Wang J (2017a) Quaternion discrete fractional random transform for color image adaptive watermarking. Multimed Tools Appl. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11042-017-5511-2
- Chen X, Chen S, Wu Y (2017b) Coverless information hiding method based on the Chinese character encoding. J Internet Technol 18(2):313–320Google Scholar
- Efros A, Freeman W (2001) Image quilting for texture synthesis and transfer. In: Conference on computer graphics and interactive techniques, New York, USA, vol 2001, pp 341–346Google Scholar
- Hioki H (2002) A data embedding method using BPCS principle with new complexity measures. In: Proceedings of Pacific Rim Workshop on digital steganography, pp. 30–47Google Scholar
- Kawaguchi E (2005) BPCS-steganography principle and applications. In: Knowledge-based intelligent information and engineering systems, Melbourne, Australia. vol 3684, pp 289–299Google Scholar
- Ker A (2004) Improved detection of LSB steganography in grayscale images. Springer, Heidelberg, pp 97–115Google Scholar
- Kieu M, Lai K, Tran T, Le T(2016) A fusion of bag of word model and hierarchical K-Means++ in image retrieval. In: International symposium on integrated uncertainty in knowledge modelling and decision making, Springer, Cham, pp 397–408Google Scholar
- Liao X, Yin J, Guo S, Li X, Sangaiah A (2017b) Medical JPEG image steganography based on preserving inter-block dependencies. Comput Electr Eng. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compeleceng.2017.08.020
- Li Z, Chen X, Pan X, ZX (2009) Lossless data hiding scheme based on adjacent pixel difference. In: International conference on computer engineering and technology. IEEE Computer Society, Washington Vol 1, pp 588–592Google Scholar
- Li X, Wang J (2007) A steganographic method based upon JPEG and particle swarm optimization algorithm. Inf Sci Int J 177:3099–3109Google Scholar
- Mckeon R (2007) Strange Fourier steganography in movies. In: IEEE international conference on electro/information technology, Chicago, USA. vol 2007, pp 178–182Google Scholar
- Sivic J, Zisserman A (2003) Video Google: A text retrieval approach to object matching in videos. Proceedings of the 9th IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision, pp. 1470-1477Google Scholar
- Sivic J, Zisserman A (2012) Video Google: a text retrieval approach to object matching in videos. In: IEEE international conference on computer vision, vol 7, pp 1470–1477Google Scholar
- Sun H, Grishman R, Wang Y (2017) Active learning based named entity recognition and its application in natural language coverless information hiding. J Internet Technol 18(2):443–451Google Scholar
- Xia Z, Li X (2017) Coverless information hiding method based on LSB of the character’s unicode. J Internet Technol 18(6):1353–1360Google Scholar
- Yin Z, Niu X, Zhang X, Tang J, Luo B (2017b) Reversible data hiding in encrypted AMBTC compressed images. In: Multimedia tools and applications, pp 436–445Google Scholar
- Yuan C, Xia Z, Sun X (2016) Coverless image steganography based on SIFT and BOF. J Internet Technol 18:209–216Google Scholar
- Zhou Z, Sun H, Harit R, Chen X, Sun X (2015) Coverless image steganography without embedding. In: International conference on cloud computing and security, Nanjing, China, pp 123–132Google Scholar
- Zhou Z, Cao Y, Sun X (2016a) Coverless information hiding based on bag-of-words model of image. J Appl Sci 34:527–536Google Scholar
- Zhou Z, Wang Y, Wu Q, Yang C, Sun X (2016b) Effective and efficient global context verification for image copy detection. IEEE Trans Inf Forensics Secur 12:48–63Google Scholar
- Zhou Z, Yang C, Chen B, Sun X, Liu Q, Wu Q (2016c) Effective and efficient image copy detection with resistance to arbitrary rotation. IEICE Trans Inf Syst E99.D(6):1531–1540Google Scholar
- Zhou Z, Wu Q, Yang C, Sun X, Pan Z (2017a) Coverless image steganography based on histograms of oriented gradients-based hashing algorithm. J Internet Technol 18(5):1177–1184Google Scholar