Supporting academic decision making at higher educational institutions using machine learning-based algorithms
Decisions made by deans and university managers greatly impact the entire academic community as well as society as a whole. In this paper, we present survey results on which academic decisions they concern and the variables involved in them. Using machine learning algorithms, we predicted graduation rates in a real case study to support decision making. Real data from five undergraduate engineering programs at District University Francisco Jose de Caldas in Colombia illustrate our results. The comparison between support vector machine and artificial neural network is held using the confusion matrix and the receiver operating characteristic curve. The algorithm methods and architecture are presented.
KeywordsMachine learning Artificial neural network Support vector machine Decision making Confusion matrix
This study was no funding.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- Aguiar E, Lakkaraju H, Bhanpuri N, Miller D, Yuhas B, Addison KL (2015) Who, when, and why: a machine learning approach to prioritizing students at risk of not graduating high school on time. In: Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on Learning Analytics And Knowledge–LAK ’15, pp. 93–102Google Scholar
- Arnold KE, Hall Y, Street SG, Lafayette W, Pistilli MD (2012) Course signals at purdue? using learning analytics to increase student success. Learn Anal Knowl 2012:2–5Google Scholar
- Baker RSJD (2010) Data mining for education, International Encyclopedia of Education. Elsevier, AmsterdamGoogle Scholar
- Barlas Y, Dicker V (2000) A dynamic simulation game for Strategic University Management (UNIGAME)Google Scholar
- Dawson S, Heathcote E (2010) SNAPP?: Realising the affordances of real-time SNA within networked learning environments. In: International Conference on Networked learning, pp. 125–133Google Scholar
- Dyckhoff AL, Zielke D, Bültmann M, Chatti MA (2012) Design and implementation of a learning analytics toolkit for teachers. Educ Technol Soc 15:58–76Google Scholar
- Dyckhoff AL, Lukarov V, Muslim A, Chatti MA, Schroeder U (2013) Supporting action research with learning analytics. Learn Anal Knowl 2013:220–229Google Scholar
- Gonzalez C, Elhariri E, El-Bendary N, Fernandez A (2016) Machine learning based classification approach for predicting students performance in blended learning. Adv. Intell. Syst. Comput. 407:47–56Google Scholar
- Hackeling G (2014) Mastering Machine Learning with scikit-learnGoogle Scholar
- Hagan MT, Demuth HB, Beale MH (2014) Neural network design, 2nd edGoogle Scholar
- Heaton J (2008) Introduction to neural networks with Java, vol 99, 2nd edn. Heaton Research Inc, St. LouisGoogle Scholar
- Hsu Chih-Wei, Chang Chih-Chung, L C-J (2016) A practical guide to support vector classification. BJU Int. 101(1):1396–400Google Scholar
- Karsoliya S (2012) Approximating number of hidden layer neurons in multiple hidden layer BPNN architecture. Int J Eng Trends Technol 3(6):714–717Google Scholar
- Lakkaraju H et al (2015) A machine learning framework to identify students at risk of adverse academic outcomes. Int Conf Knowl Dis Data Min KDD 2015:1909–1918Google Scholar
- Murray WS, Le Blanc LA (1995) A decision support system for academic advisingGoogle Scholar
- Nieto Y, Montenegro C (2014) System architecture based on learning analytcis to educational decision Makers Toolkit. Adv Comput Sci Eng 13(2):89–105Google Scholar
- Nieto Y, Montenegro C (2015) Towards a decision support system based on learning analytics. Adv Inf Sci Serv Sci 7(1):01–12Google Scholar
- Nieto Y, Diaz V, Montenegro C (2016) Academic Decision Making Model for Higher Education Institutions using Learning Analytics. In: Computational and Business Intelligence (ISCBI), 2016 4th International Symposium, pp. 27–32Google Scholar
- Ramchoun H, Amine M, Idrissi J, Ghanou Y, Ettaouil M (2016) Multilayer perceptron: architecture optimization and training. Int J Interact Multimed Artif Intell 4(1):26Google Scholar
- Skyrius R, Kazakevičienė G, Bujauskas V (2013) From management information systems to business intelligence: the development of management information needs. Int J Interact Multimed Artif Intell 2(3):31Google Scholar
- Vo TNC, Nguyen HP (2012) A Knowledge-Driven Educational Decision Support System. In: 2012 IEEE RIVF International Conference on Computing & Communication Technologies, Research, Innovation, and Vision for the Future, pp. 1–6Google Scholar
- Werghi N, Kamoun FK (2010) A decision-tree-based system for student academic advising and planning in information systems programmes. Int J Bus Inf Syst 5:1Google Scholar
- Witten IH, Frank E, Hall Ma (2011) Data mining: practical machine learning tools and techniques, 2nd edn. Morgan Kauffman Publishers, San FranciscoGoogle Scholar
- Xiao-YanLiu (2015) Private colleges teachers evaluation system based on support vector machine (SVM). In: International Conference on Applied Science and Engineerin Innovation ASEI 2015, no. Asei, pp. 1918–1921Google Scholar
- Zorrilla ME, García D, Álvarez E (2010) A decision support system to improve e-learning environments. In: Proceedings of the EDBT/ICDT Workshops, pp. 1–8Google Scholar