Fuzzy cerebellar model articulation controller network optimization via self-adaptive global best harmony search algorithm
- 106 Downloads
Fuzzy cerebellar model articulation controller (FCMAC) networks with excellent nonlinear appropriation ability and simple implementation are used to solve complex uncertainties problems in engineering applications. Both online and off-line learning algorithm of FCMAC networks usually applies the gradient-descent-type methods. However, such gradient-descent methods lead to the high possibility to converging into local minima. To cope with the local minimum problem, this paper alternatively proposes to apply harmony search algorithm to find optimal network parameters, so as to achieve better performances of FCMAC. The harmony search algorithm optimizes not only FCMAC network’s weight variables, but also optimizes network receptive field’s center position and standard deviation parameters. In order to obtain an optimal network, the weight values, center positions, and standard deviations are transformed to three data strings that can be processed by harmony search algorithm. In particular, the self-adaptive global best harmony search algorithm (SGHS) is used to search optimal parameter combinations of FCMAC within solution domains. The network’s performances are verified by approximating six nonlinear formulae. In order to compare the performances of the FCMAC networks optimized by the SGHS algorithm, a back-propagation trained network and another harmony search variant optimized networks are also tested in this work. The experimental results show that the networks optimized by SGHS perform the faster convergence speed and better accuracy.
KeywordsNeural network optimization Fuzzy CMAC Self-adaptive global best harmony search algorithm
The authors would like to thank the reviewers for their invaluable comments and suggestions, which greatly helped to improve the presentation of this paper. This work was supported by the Major State Basic Research Development Program of China (973 Program) (No. 2013CB329502), the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities (No. 20720160126), the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Nos. 61673322 and 61673326), and Natural Science Foundation of Fujian Province of China (No. 2017J01128 and 2017J01129).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
All authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- Chen CH, Chung C-C, Chao F, Lin CM, Rudas JJ (2015) Intelligent robust control for uncertain nonlinear multivariable systems using recurrent cerebellar model neural networks. Acta Polytech Hung 12(5):7–33Google Scholar
- Kassim N, Sulaiman SI, Othman Z, Musirin I (2014) Harmony search-based optimization of artificial neural network for predicting ac power from a photovoltaic system. In: 2014 IEEE 8th international power engineering and optimization conference (PEOCO2014), pp 504–507. doi: 10.1109/PEOCO.2014.6814481
- Huang H-X, Li J-C, Xiao C-L (2015) A proposed iteration optimization approach integrating backpropagation neural network with genetic algorithm. Exp Syst Appl 42(1):146–155Google Scholar
- Kattan A, Abdullah R, Salam RA (2010) Harmony search based supervised training of artificial neural networks. In: Proceedings of the 2010 international conference on intelligent systems, modelling and simulation, ISMS’10. IEEE Computer Society, Washington, DC, USA, pp 105–110. doi: 10.1109/ISMS.2010.31
- Kulluk S, Ozbakir L, Baykasoglu A (2011) Self-adaptive global best harmony search algorithm for training neural networks. Procedia Comput Sci 3:282–286. doi: 10.1016/j.procs.2010.12.048.http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877050910004230
- Kulluk S, Ozbakir L, Baykasoglu A (2012) Training neural networks with harmony search algorithms for classification problems. Eng Appl Artif Intell 25(1):11–19. doi: 10.1016/j.engappai.2011.07.006. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0952197611001291
- Lee ZJ, Wang YP, Su SF (2004) A genetic algorithm based robust learning credit assignment cerebellar model articulation controller. Appl Soft Comput 4(4):357–367. doi: 10.1016/j.asoc.2004.01.007. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1568494604000390
- Lu Q, Tian J (2015) Research on walking gait of biped robot based on a modified cpg model. Math Probl Eng 2015:Art Id 793208Google Scholar
- Macnab CJB (2016) Creating a CMAC with overlapping basis functions in order to prevent weight drift. Soft Comput 21(16):1–8Google Scholar
- Mahdavi M, Fesanghary M, Damangir E (2007) An improved harmony search algorithm for solving optimization problems. Appl Math Comput 188(2):1567–1579. doi: 10.1016/j.amc.2006.11.033. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0096300306015098
- Manjarres D, Landa-Torres I, Gil-Lopez S, Ser JD, Bilbao M, Salcedo-Sanz S, Geem Z (2013) A survey on applications of the harmony search algorithm. Eng Appl Artif Intell 26(8):1818–1831. doi: 10.1016/j.engappai.2013.05.008. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S095219761300095X
- Naik B, Nayak J, Behera HS (2016) A global-best harmony search based gradient descent learning FLANN (GbHS-GDL-FLANN) for data classification. Egypt Inf J 17(1):57–87. doi: 10.1016/j.eij.2015.09.001. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1110866515000456
- Omran MG, Mahdavi M (2008) Global-best harmony search. Appl Math Comput 198(2):643–656. doi: 10.1016/j.amc.2007.09.004. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0096300307009320
- Pan QK, Suganthan P, Tasgetiren MF, Liang J (2010) A self-adaptive global best harmony search algorithm for continuous optimization problems. Appl Math Comput 216(3):830–848. doi: 10.1016/j.amc.2010.01.088. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0096300310001128
- Sun X, Kashima H, Matsuzaki T, Ueda N (2010) Averaged stochastic gradient descent with feedback: An accurate, robust, and fast training method. In: 2010 IEEE international conference on data mining, pp 1067–1072. doi: 10.1109/ICDM.2010.26
- Yao G, Chao F, Zeng H, Shi M, Jiang M, Zhou C (2014) Integrate classifier diversity evaluation to feature selection based classifier ensemble reduction. In: 2014 14th UK workshop on computational intelligence (UKCI), pp 1–7. doi: 10.1109/UKCI.2014.6930156
- Zheng L, Diao R, Shen Q (2015) Self-adjusting harmony search-based feature selection. Soft Comput 19(6):1567–1579. doi: 10.1007/s00500-014-1307-8
- Zhou D, Chao F, Lin CM, Shi M, Zhou C (2017) Harmony search algorithm for fuzzy cerebellar model articulation controller networks optimization. Springer, Cham, pp 45–58Google Scholar
- Zhou D, Chao F, Zhu Z, Lin CM, Zhou C (2016) A novel approach to a mobile robot via multiple human body postures. In: 2016 12th world congress on intelligent control and automation (WCICA), pp 1463–1468. doi: 10.1109/WCICA.2016.7578290