Medical image denoising based on sparse dictionary learning and cluster ensemble
- 185 Downloads
Medical imaging techniques play a very important role in modern life. However, due to the technique limitation, the random noise often degrades the quality of acquired medical images, which seriously affects the medical image analysis. A denoising scheme that combines sparse dictionary learning with cluster ensemble is proposed in our paper, which exploits both the inherent self-similarity in images and sparsity of image patches. Firstly, construct image feature set by using steering kernel regression. Then, the effective cluster ensemble method is utilized to gain the class label of image feature set. Finally, for each cluster, an adaptive dictionary was trained by the sparse dictionary learning algorithm. The trained dictionary is more adaptive and stable, which is beneficial to improve the quality of recovered image. The experiment validates the superiorities of our proposed method and has a satisfactory speed.
KeywordsMedical image denoising Self-similarity Cluster ensemble Sparse dictionary learning
The authors would like to thank all those who have helped us during the writing of the paper and the anonymous reviewers for their constructive comments. This work was funded by the International Postdoctoral Exchange Fellowship Program 2013 by the Office of China Postdoctoral Council (No. 20130026), the China Postdoctoral Science Foundation Special funded project (No. 2012T50799) and the Open Research Fund of Key Laboratory of Spectral Imaging Technology by Chinese Academy of Sciences.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- Binh NT, Khare A (2010) Adaptive complex wavelet technique for medical image denoising. IFMBE Proc 27:196C199Google Scholar
- Buades A, Coll B, Morel J M (2005) Computer vision and pattern recognition. In: IEEE computer society conference on. IEEE 2005, p 60C65Google Scholar
- Engan K, Aase SO, Hakon Husoy J (1999) Method of optimal directions for frame design. icassp. IEEE Comput Soc 5:2443–2446Google Scholar
- Irofti P (2016) Efficient dictionary learning implementation on the GPU using OpenCL. UPB Sci Bull Ser C Electr Eng 78(3):39–50Google Scholar
- Meng Y (2012) Medical image denoising based on improved anisotropic diffusion. Adv Autom Robot 1:233–239Google Scholar
- Phophalia A, Mitra SK, Rajwade AK (2013) Medical image denoising from similar patches derived by Rough Set. In: 2013 IEEE second international conference on, pp 586–591Google Scholar
- Rubinstein R, Zibulevsky M, Elad M (2008) Effcient implementation of the k-svd algorithm using batch orthogonal matching pursuit. Technical report, CS TechnionGoogle Scholar
- Shechtman E, Irani M (2007) Matching Local Self-Similarities across Images and Videos. In: IEEE conference on computer vision and pattern recognition, pp 1–8Google Scholar
- Zhang L, Zhou WD, Wu CL, Huo JT, Zou HS, Jiao LC (2009) Center matching scheme for k-means cluster ensembles. In: Proceedings of SPIE—the international society for optical engineering, pp 749614–749614-6Google Scholar