Adaptive switching filter for impulse noise removal in digital content
In this paper, a new fuzzy-rule-based impulse noise denoising method that removes unwanted artifacts and reconstructs original images is proposed. The proposed method is based on the fuzzy rule selective approach, which has four sub-methods. The proposed method can effectively remove noise artifacts that are caused by various levels of impulse noise. Simulation results show that the presented method outperforms conventional methods. The proposed method can be directly applied to various consumer electronics displays.
KeywordsColor processing Denoising Multimedia Immersion Impulse noise Artificial intelligence Image display
This work was supported by the Institutes of Convergence Science and Technology, Incheon National University Research Grant in 2016.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
Pyoung Won Kim declares that she has no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- Abrahim BA, Mustafa ZA, Kadah YM (2011) Modified non-local means filter for effective speckle reduction in ultrasound images. Proc NRSC 2011:1–8Google Scholar
- Aiswarya K, Jayaraj V, Ebenezer D (2010) A new and efficient algorithm for the removal of high density salt and pepper noise in images and videos. In: Second international conference on computer modeling and simulation, 2010. ICCMS’10, 22–24 Jan 2010. IEEE . doi: 10.1109/ICCMS.2010.310
- Chen X, Jeon G, Jeong J (2012) A filter switching interpolation method for deinterlacing. SPIE Opt Eng 51(10):107402Google Scholar
- Jeon G, You J, Jeong J (2009a) Weighted fuzzy reasoning scheme for interlaced to progressive conversion. IEEE Trans Circuits Syst Video Technol 19(6):842–855Google Scholar
- Jeon G, Park SJ, Fang Y, Anisetti M, Bellandi V, Damiani E, Jeong J (2009b) Specification of efficient block matching scheme for motion estimation in video compression. SPIE Opt Eng 48(12):127005Google Scholar
- Jeon G, Anisetti M, Bellandi V, Damiani E, Jeong J (2009d) Designing of a type-2 fuzzy logic filter for improving edge-preserving restoration of interlaced-to-progressive conversion. Inf Sci 179(13):2194–2207Google Scholar
- Koike-Akino T, Popovski P, Tarokh V (2009) Denoising strategy for convolutionally-coded bidirectional relaying. In: Proceedings of ICC 2009Google Scholar
- Park SJ, Jeon G, Jeong J (2010) Covariance-based adaptive deinterlacing method using edge map. In: Proceedings of image processing theory tools and applications (IPTA), pp 166–171Google Scholar
- Wu J, Deng L, Jeon G, Jeong J (2016b) GPU-parallel interpolation using the edge-direction based normal vector method for terrain triangular mesh. J Real-Time Image Proc. doi: 10.1007/s11554-016-0575-1