Automatic scoring system for short descriptive answer written in Korean using lexico-semantic pattern
- 152 Downloads
The researches on the automatic scoring system for English descriptive answers have been actively performed, but there are not so many researches on the automatic scoring system for Korean descriptive answers. In this paper, we propose an scoring method based on lexico-semantic pattern (LSP), which is known to be a good solution for the morphologically rich Korean language. In the proposed method, postposition information is utilized as an important tool for finding the meaning differences in Korean. In addition to using LSP, we also applied a synonym dictionary as a meaning extension approach to improve recall performance in scoring student’s answer. Our experimental result shows that the proposed system performs better than the existing noun-keyword-based system by 0.137. Also, the best performance could be obtained by using a synonym dictionary.
KeywordsLexical semantic pattern Synonym Korean short descriptive answer Automatic scoring
This research was supported by the Special Research Fund of College of Education, Korea University in 2013.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that there is no conflict of interests.
- Burstein J, Chodorow M (1999) Automated essay scoring for nonnative English speakers. In: Proceeding ASSESSEVALNLP ’99 proceedings of a symposium on computer mediated language assessment and evaluation in natural language processing, pp 68–75Google Scholar
- Bae B-G (2013) Automatic-scoring method for Korean free-text answer through predicate normalization. M.A. dissertation, KookMin UniversityGoogle Scholar
- Callear D, Jerrams-Smith J, Soh V (2001) CAA of short non-MCQ answers. In: Proceeding of the 5th international CAA conferenceGoogle Scholar
- Cruse DA (1986) Lexical semantics. Cambridge University Press, CambridgeGoogle Scholar
- Dobrov BV, Loukachevitch NV, Yudina TN (1997) Conceptual indexing using thematic representation of texts. In: TREC-6, pp 403–413Google Scholar
- ETRI (2013) ETRI Korean phoneme converter. Speech Language Information Research DepartmentGoogle Scholar
- Jacobs PS, Krupka GR, Rau LF (1991) Lexico-semantic pattern matching as a companion to parsing in text understanding. In: Proceeding HLT ’91 proceedings of the workshop on speech and natural language, pp 337–341Google Scholar
- Jang ES, Kang SS, Noh EH, Kim MH, Sung KH, Seong TJ (2014) KASS: Korean automatic scoring system for short-answer questions. In: Proceedings of the 6th international conference on computer supported education: CSEDU, Barcelona, Spain, vol 2, pp 226–230Google Scholar
- Kim JE, Chae JM, Jung SY (2014) Automatic scoring system based on Korean lexico-semantic pattern. Int J Appl Eng Res 9(22):14499–14510Google Scholar
- Loukachevitch NV, Dobrov BV (2002) Evaluation of thesaurus on sociopolitical life as information-retrieval tool. In: Gonzalez Rodriguez M, Paz Suarez Araujo C (eds) The third international conference on linguistic resources and evaluation (LREC-2002), Gran Canaria, Spain, vol 1Google Scholar
- Valenti S, Neri F, Cucchiarelli R (2003) An overview of current research on automated essay grading. J Inf Technol Educ 2:319–330Google Scholar