B-spline collocation and self-adapting differential evolution (jDE) algorithm for a singularly perturbed convection–diffusion problem
- 171 Downloads
Many numerical methods applied on a Shishkin mesh are very popular in solving the singularly perturbed problems. However, few approaches are used to obtain the Shishkin mesh transition parameter. Thus, in this paper, we first use the cubic B-spline collocation method on a Shishkin mesh to solve the singularly perturbed convection–diffusion problem with two small parameters. Then, we transform the Shishkin mesh transition parameter selection problem into a nonlinear unconstrained optimization problem which is solved by using the self-adapting differential evolution (jDE) algorithm. To verify the performance of our presented method, a numerical example is employed. It is shown from the experiment results that our approach is efficient. Compared with other evolutionary algorithms, the jDE algorithm performs better and with more stability.
KeywordsB-spline collocation method Self-adapting differential evolution Singularly perturbed Optimization problem Shishkin mesh
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (11301044, 11401054, 61662090, 11461011), the general Project of Hunan provincial education department (14C0047), the Natural Science Foundation of Guizhou Provincial Education Department (No. KY018), the Scientific Research Fund of Hunan Provincial Education Department (No. 13C333), the Doctoral Foundation of Zunyi Normal College (No. BS13), the open fund of Key Laboratory of Guangxi High Schools for Complex System and Computational Intelligence (No. 15CI03D), Natural Science Foundation of Guangxi Education Department (No. ZD2014080).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Abbass HA (2002) The self-adaptive Pareto differential evolution algorithm. In: Proceedings of the congress evolutionary computation, Honolulu, HI, pp 831–836Google Scholar
- Gämperle R, Müller SD, Koumoutsakos P (2002) A parameter study for differential evolution. In: Grmela A, Mastorakis NE (eds) Advances in intelligent systems, fuzzy systems, evolutionary computation. WSEAS Press, Interlaken, pp 293–298Google Scholar
- Gong W, Cai Z (1976) Parameter optimization of PEMFC model with improved multi-strategy adaptive differential evolution. Eng Appl Artif Intel 27(C):28–40Google Scholar
- Kennedy J, Eberhart RC (1995) Particle swarm optimization. In: Proceeding of the IEEE international conference on neural networks (Perth, Australia). IEEE Service Ceter, Piscataway, NJ, pp 1942–1948Google Scholar
- Omran MGH, Salman A, Engelbrecht AP (2005) Self-adaptive differential evolution. In: Lecture notes in artificial intelligence. Springer, Berlin, pp 192–199Google Scholar
- Ono I, Kobayashi S (1997) A real coded genetic algorithm for function optimization using unimodal normal distributed crossover. In: International conference on genetic algorithms, East Lansing, MI, USA, pp 246–253Google Scholar
- Ouyang A, Yang Z (2016) An efficient hybrid algorithm based on harmony search and invasive weed optimization. In: 2016 12th international conference on natural computation, fuzzy systems and knowledge discovery (ICNC-FSKD), Changsha, pp 167–172. doi: 10.1109/FSKD.2016.7603169
- Ouyang A, Peng X, Liu Y, Fan L, Li K (2016a) An efficient hybrid algorithm based on HS and SFLA. Int J Pattern Recognit Artif Intell 30(5):1659012 (1–25)Google Scholar
- Ouyang A, Peng X, Wang Q, Wang Y, Truong TK (2016b) A parallel improved iwo algorithm on gpu for solving large scale global optimization problems. J Intell Fuzzy Syst 31(2):1041–1051Google Scholar
- Qin AK, Suganthan PN (2005) Self-adaptive differential evolution algorithm for numerical optimization. In: Proceedings of the IEEE congress evolutionary computation, Edinburgh, Scotland, pp 1785–1791Google Scholar
- Rönkkönen J, Kukkonen S, Price KV (2005) Real-parameter optimization with differential evolution. In: Proceedings of the IEEE congress evolutionary computation, Edinburgh, Scotland, pp 506–513Google Scholar
- Suganthan PN (1999) Particle swarm optimiser with neighbourhood operator. In: Proceedings of the 1999 congress on evolutionary computation, 1999 (CEC 99), Washington, DCGoogle Scholar
- Zaharie D (2003) Control of population diversity and adaptation in differential evolution algorithms. In: Matousek R, Osmera P (eds) Proceeding of the mendel 9th international conference soft computing, Brno, Czech Republic, pp 41–46Google Scholar
- Zaharie D, Petcu D (2003) Adaptive pareto differential evolution and its parallelization. In: Proceedings of the 5th international conference on parallel process applied mathematics, Czestochowa, Poland, pp 261–268Google Scholar