Multi-objective thermal power load dispatch using chaotic differential evolutionary algorithm and Powell’s method
- 153 Downloads
In this work, a chaotic differential evolutionary and Powell’s pattern search (CDEPS) algorithm is proposed to solve multi-objective thermal power load dispatch (MTPLD) problem. The chaotic differential evolutionary method is responsible for the diversification, and Powell’s pattern search is dedicated to exploitation. Further, the performance of two CDEPS variants based on Gauss map and Tent map is investigated. The proposed MTPLD solution procedure either identifies a solution close to Pareto front or diversifies the existing Pareto frontier and finally selects a suitable compromising solution among the available options. In order to select the best compromising solution, a combination of surrogate worth trade-off approach and fuzzy theory is proposed as choice of objectives is ambiguous. The uniformity of Pareto front is evaluated by exploiting a quality measure approach. The performance analysis is done using generalized benchmark test functions and complex MTPLD problems. The ability of CDEPS to diversify Pareto front is verified by uniformity analysis of Pareto front. The one-sample Wilcoxon’s test and two-sample Mann Whitney’s test are used to analyze the experimental results. The exhaustive analysis shows that the Tent map-based CDEPS has better ability to generate quality generation schedule with uniform Pareto front quality and faster convergence rate.
KeywordsChaotic differential evolutionary algorithm Powell’s pattern search Surrogate worth trade-off method Multi-objective optimization Thermal power load dispatch
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants performed by any of the authors.
- Abbass HA, Sarker R, Newton C (2001) PDE: a pareto-frontier differential evolution approach for multi-objective optimization problems. In: Proceedings of the congress on evolutionary Computation, vol. 2, pp. 971–978Google Scholar
- Adeyemo J, Otieno F (2009) Multi-objective differential evolution algorithm for solving engineering problems. Int J Appl Sci 9(20):3652–3661Google Scholar
- Deb K (2012) Optimization for engineering design: algorithms and examples. PHI Learning Pvt Ltd, Delhi, IndiaGoogle Scholar
- Huang VL, Zhao SZ, Mallipeddi R, Suganthan PN (2009) Multi-objective optimization using self-adaptive differential evolution algorithm. In: IEEE congress on evolutionary computation, pp. 190–194Google Scholar
- Iwasawa A, Kohtake N, Minato N, Crossley W (2014) Investigating the surrogate worth trade-off method to facilitate technology selection for new systems. In: Infranomics, Springer, pp. 339–349Google Scholar
- King RTA, Rughooputh HC, Deb K (2005). Evolutionary multi-objective environmental/economic dispatch: Stochastic versus deterministic approaches. In: International conference on evolutionary multi-criterion optimization, Springer, pp. 677–691Google Scholar
- Mahfoud SW (1995) Niching methods for genetic algorithms. Urbana 51(95001):62–94Google Scholar
- Robič T, Filipič B (2005) Demo: differential evolution for multiobjective optimization. In: International conference on evolutionary multi-criterion optimization, Springer, pp. 520–533Google Scholar
- Storn R, Price K (1995) Differential evolution-a simple and efficient adaptive scheme for global optimization over continuous spaces. International computer science institute, berkeley. Technical report, CA, 1995, Tech. Rep. TR-95–012Google Scholar
- Thangaraj R, Pant M, Chelliah TR, Abraham A (2012) Opposition based chaotic differential evolution algorithm for solving global optimization problems. In: Fourth world congress on nature and biologically inspired computing, pp. 1–7Google Scholar
- Xu B, Zhong P-A, Zhao Y-F, Zhu Y-Z, Zhang G-Q (2014) Comparison between dynamic programming and genetic algorithm for hydro unit economic load dispatch. Water Sci Eng 7(4):420–432Google Scholar
- Xue F, Sanderson AC, Graves RJ (2003) Pareto-based multi-objective differential evolution. In: Proceedings of the 2003 congress on evolutionary computation (CEC’03), vol 2. IEEE, pp 862–869Google Scholar