Secure and efficient ECC speeding up algorithms for wireless sensor networks
- 268 Downloads
Wireless sensor networks have been widely used in several applications ranging from environmental and health-care monitoring to military uses. Since sensor networks are typically deployed in hostile environments, broadcast authentication is a fundamental security service in wireless sensor networks. The slow signature verification in existing schemes always causes high energy consumption and long verification delay for broadcast authentication. In this paper, we study the secure and efficient ECC speeding up algorithms for fast authentication in wireless sensor networks. We propose two fast algorithms based on constrained triple base number system to improve the efficiency for situations with and without precomputations. These new algorithms combine the sparsity of constrained TBNS with Yao algorithm to reduce the cost of scalar multiplication. Several experiments have been conducted using Magma software to assess the performance of the proposed algorithms. Our experiments show that the two algorithms are more efficient than existing algorithms. Furthermore, the improvement of efficiency will reduce the energy consumption and thus prolong the network lifetime due to the decrease of computation overhead in signature verification.
KeywordsElliptic curve Scalar multiplication Constrained triple-base number system Greedy algorithm Wireless sensor network Authentication Security
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 61309016, 61379150, 61201220), the Funding of Science and Technology on Information Assurance Laboratory (No. KJ1302) and Key Scientific and Technological Project of Henan Province (No. 122102210126, 092101210502).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
This manuscript describes original work, and neither the entire nor any part of its content has been published previously or has been accepted by any journal. All authors have read the manuscript and approved submission to your journal. This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- Bernstein DJ, Lange T (2007) Faster addition and doubling on elliptic curves. In: Kurosawa K (ed) ASIACRYPT, LNCS, vol 4833. Springer, Heidelberg, pp 29–50Google Scholar
- Berthé V, Imbert L (2004) On converting numbers to the double-base number system. In: Luk FT (ed) Advanced signal processing algorithms, architecture and implementations XIV 2004, vol 5559. pp 70–78Google Scholar
- Blake IF, Seroussi G, Smart NP (eds) (2005) Advances in elliptic curve cryptography. Cambridge University Press, CambridgeGoogle Scholar
- Brier E, Joye M (2002) Weierstraß elliptic curves and side-channel attacks. In: Naccache D, Paillier P (eds) PKC 2002, LNCS, vol 2274. Springer, Heidelberg, pp 335–345Google Scholar
- Ciet M, Joye M (2003) (Virtually) Free randomization techniques for elliptic curve cryptography. In: Qing S, Gollmann D, Zhou J (eds) ICICS 2003, LNCS, vol 2836. Springer, Heidelberg, pp 348–359Google Scholar
- Coron JS (1999) Resistance against differential power analysis for elliptic curve cryptosystems. In: Koç ÇK, Paar C (eds) CHES 1999, LNCS, vol 1717. Springer, Heidelberg, pp 292–302Google Scholar
- Dimitrov V, Cooklev T (1995) Two algorithms for modular exponentiation using nonstandard arithmetics. IEICE Trans Fundam Electron Commun Comput Sci 78(1):82–87Google Scholar
- Guo P, Wang J, Geng XH, Kim CS, Kim J-U (2014) A variable threshold-value authentication architecture for wireless mesh networks. J Internet Technol 15(6):929–936Google Scholar
- Hisil H, Wong K, Carter G, Dawson E (2008) An intersection form for jacobi-quartic curves. Personal communicationGoogle Scholar
- Joye M, Yen S-M (2003) The montgomery powering ladder. In: Kaliski BS, Koç ÇK, Paar C (eds) CHES 2002, LNCS, vol 2523. Springer, Heidelberg, pp 291–302Google Scholar
- Khan MK, Zhang J, Tian L (2004) Protecting biometric data for personal identification. In: Li SZ et al (eds) SINOBIOMETRICS 2004, LNCS, vol 3383. Springer, Heidelberg, pp 629–638Google Scholar
- Khan MK, Zhang J (2006) An efficient and practical fingerprint-based remote user authentication scheme with smart cards. In: Chen K et al (eds) ISPEC 2006, LNCS, vol 3903. Springer, Heidelberg, pp 260–268Google Scholar
- Liu A, Ning P (2008) TinyECC: A configurable library for elliptic curve cryptography in wireless sensor networks. In: International conference on information processing in sensor networks (IPSN 2008). IEEE Computer Society Press, St. Louis, pp 245–256Google Scholar
- Longa P, Gebotys C (2009) Fast multibase methods and other several optimization for elliptic curve scalar multiplication. In: Jarecki S, Tsudik G (eds) PKC 2009, LNCS, vol 5443. Springer, Heidelberg, pp 443–462Google Scholar
- Mishra PK, Dimitrov V (2007) Efficient quintuple formulas for elliptic curves and efficient scalar multiplication using multibase number representation. In: Garay J et al (eds) ISC 2007, LNCS, vol 4779. Springer, Heidelberg, pp 390–406Google Scholar
- Perrig A, Canetti R, Tygar J, Song D (2000) Efficient authentication and signing of multicast streams over lossy channels. In: 2000 IEEE symposium on security and privacy. IEEE Computer Society Press, Berkeley, pp 56–73Google Scholar
- Ren Y, Shen J, Wang J, Han J, Lee S (2015) Mutual verifiable provable data auditing in public cloud storage. J Internet Technol 16(2):317–323Google Scholar
- Shen J, Tan H, Wang J, Wang J, Lee S (2015) A novel routing protocol providing good transmission reliability in underwater sensor networks. J Internet Technol 16(1):171–178Google Scholar
- Wenger E, Großschädl J (2012) An 8-bit AVR-based elliptic curve cryptographic RISC processor for the Internet of things. In: Proceedings of the 45th annual IEEE ACM international symposium on microarchitecture workshops MICROW 2012). IEEE Computer Society Press, Vancouver, pp 39–46Google Scholar
- Yu W, Wang K, Li B, Tian S (2013) Triple-base number system for scalar multiplication. In: Youssef A, Nitaj A, Hassanien AE (eds) AFRICACRYPT 2013, LNCS, vol 7918. Springer, Heidelberg, pp 443–451Google Scholar