An interval type-2 fuzzy active contour model for auroral oval segmentation
- 273 Downloads
Aurora is a recurrent feature of the atmosphere, acting as a mirror of otherwise invisible coupling between different atmospheric layers. Advanced processing of auroral images has proven essential to investigate some key physical processes in near-Earth space; in particular, auroral images carry important information for research on power networks, communication systems, meteorology, and complex biological systems. Segmenting aurora images to detect auroral regions is an important step of this study. Classical image segmentation approaches fail to effectively detect auroral regions when the auroral oval is not distinct from its background in terms of pixel intensity. To reduce the negative influence of intensity inhomogeneity in auroral oval images, we design a novel active contour model which employs interval type-2 fuzzy sets for auroral oval image segmentation. The proposed method can robustly segment auroral oval images even in the presence of high intensity variations. Experimental results on Ultraviolet Imager (UVI) auroral oval images acquired from an online database including data collected by NASA Polar satellite’s UVI demonstrate the advantages of our method in terms of human visual perception and segmentation accuracy.
KeywordsAuroral oval segmentation Active contour model Interval type-2 fuzzy sets Soft computing technique
This work is supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China under 61377011 and is supported by the Incheon National University (International Cooperative) Research Grant in 2015.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that have no conflict of interest.
- Hung CC, Germany G (2003) K-means and iterative selection algorithms in image segmentation. In: Proceedings of IEEE Southeastcon 2003, session 1: software developmentGoogle Scholar
- Li X, Ramachandran R, He M, Movva S, Rushing JA, Graves SJ, Lyatsky W, Tan A, Germany GA (2004) Comparing different thresholding algorithms for segmenting auroras. In: Proceedings of IEEE conference on information technology: coding and computing, 2004, pp 594–601Google Scholar
- Pereira CL, Bastos CACM, Ren TI, Cavalcanti GDC (2011) Fuzzy active contour models. In: Proceedings of IEEE international conference on fuzzy systems, pp 1621–1627Google Scholar
- Shi J, Wu J, Paul A, Jiao LC, Gong MG (2014) A partition-based active contour model incorporating local information for image segmentation. Sci World J 2014:840305Google Scholar
- Wang Q, Meng QH, Hu ZJ, Xing ZY, Liang JM, Hu HQ (2011) Extraction of auroral oval boundaries from UVI images: a new FLICM clustering-based method and its evaluation. Adv Polar Sci 22:184–191Google Scholar