Data stream visualization framework for smart cities
- 511 Downloads
Monitoring smart cities is a key challenge due the variety of data streams generated from different process (traffic, human dynamics, pollution, energy supply, water supply, etc.). All these streams show us what is happening and as to where and when in the city. The purpose of this paper was to apply different types of glyphs for showing real-time stream evolution of data gathered in the city. The use of glyphs is intended to make the most out of the human capacity for detecting visual patterns.
KeywordsSmart cities Data visualization Human behaviour understanding
This work has been partly funded by the Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness under project REBECCA (TEC2014-58036-C4-1-R) and by the Regional Government of Castilla-La Mancha under project SAND (PEII_2014_046_P).
- Blog SC (2014) Video ‘must haves’ for active surveillance. http://security.americandynamics.net/blog/bid/69402/Video-must-haves-for-active-surveillance
- Cai Y (2007) Instinctive computing. In: Artifical intelligence for human computing, Lecture notes in computer Science, vol 4451. Springer, Berlin, pp 17–46Google Scholar
- Hao M, Marwah M, Mittelstadt S, Janetzko H, Keim D, Dayal U, Bash C, Felix C, Patel C, Hsu M, Chen Y (2012) Exploring cyber physical data streams using radial pixel visualizations. In: Visual analytics science and technology (VAST), 2012 IEEE Conference on, pp 225–226. doi: 10.1109/VAST.2012.6400541
- Henning M (2004) A new approach to object-oriented middleware. IEEE Internet Comput 8(1):66–75Google Scholar
- Hsu C-W, Chang CC, Lin CJ (2010) A practical guide to support vector classification. National Taiwan UniversityGoogle Scholar
- Moya F, Villa D, Villanueva FJ, Barba J, Rincön F, Löpez JC (2009) Embedding standard distributed object-oriented middlewares in wireless sensor networks. Wirel Commun Mob Comput 9(3):335–345. doi: 10.1002/wcm.545
- Park HK, Lee YW, Jang SI, Lee IP (2010) Online visualization of urban noise in ubiquitous-city middleware. In: Advanced communication technology (ICACT), 2010 The 12th international conference on, vol 1, pp 268–271Google Scholar
- Park JW, Yun CH, Jung HS, Lee YW (2011) Visualization of urban air pollution with cloud computing. In: Services (SERVICES), 2011 IEEE world congress on, pp 578–583Google Scholar
- Villanueva F, Santofimia M, Villa D, Barba J, Lopez J (2013) Civitas: the smart city middleware, from sensors to big data. In: Innovative mobile and internet services in ubiquitous computing (IMIS), 2013 Seventh international conference on, pp 445–450Google Scholar