On the Size of K-Cross-Free Families
Two subsets A,B of an n-element ground set X are said to be crossing, if none of the four sets A∩B, A\B, B\A and X\(A∪B) are empty. It was conjectured by Karzanov and Lomonosov forty years ago that if a family F of subsets of X does not contain k pairwise crossing elements, then |F|=O(kn). For k=2 and 3, the conjecture is true, but for larger values of k the best known upper bound, due to Lomonosov, is |F|=O(knlogn). In this paper, we improve this bound for large n by showing that |F|=O k (nlog*n) holds, where log* denotes the iterated logarithm function.
Mathematics Subject Classification (2010)05D05 05C62
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- B. V. Cherkasky: A solution of a problem of multicommodity flows in a network, Ekonom.-Mat. Metody 13 (1977), 143–151. (In Russian.)Google Scholar
- J. Edmonds and R. Giles: A min-max relation for submodular functions on graphs, in: Studies in Integer Programming (Proc. Workshop, Bonn, 1975), Ann. of Discrete Math., Vol. 1, North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1977, 185–204.Google Scholar
- A. V. Karzanov: Combinatorial Methods to Solve Cut-Determined Multi ow Problems, Combinatorial Methods for Flow Problems, no. 3 (A. V. Karzanov, editor), Vsesoyuz. Nauchno-Issled. Inst. Sistem Issled., Moscow, 1979, 6–69 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- A. V. Karzanov and M. V. Lomonosov: Flow systems in undirected networks, Mathematical Programming, (O. I. Larichev, ed.) Institute for System Studies, Moscow (1978), 59–66 (in Russian).Google Scholar
- A. Suk: A note on K k,k-cross free families, Electron. J. Combin. 15 (2008), #N39.Google Scholar