Associahedra Via Spines
- 3 Downloads
An associahedron is a polytope whose vertices correspond to triangulations of a convex polygon and whose edges correspond to flips between them. Using labeled polygons, C. Hohlweg and C. Lange constructed various realizations of the associahedron with relevant properties related to the symmetric group and the permutahedron. We introduce the spine of a triangulation as its dual tree together with a labeling and an orientation. This notion extends the classical understanding of the associahedron via binary trees, introduces a new perspective on C. Hohlweg and C. Lange’s construction closer to J.-L. Loday’s original approach, and sheds light upon the combinatorial and geometric properties of the resulting realizations of the associahedron. It also leads to noteworthy proofs which shorten and simplify previous approaches.
Mathematics Subject Classification (2000)52B05 52B11 20F55
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- C. Ceballos, J.-Ph. Labbé and C. Stump: Subword complexes, cluster complexes, and generalized multi-associahedra, J. Algebraic Combin., 2013.Google Scholar
- C. Hohlweg: Permutahedra and associahedra, Pages 129-159 in .Google Scholar
- K. Igusa and J. Ostroff: Mixed cobinary trees, preprint, arXiv:1307.3587, 2013.Google Scholar
- J.-Ph. Labbé and C. Lange: Cambrian acyclic domains: counting c-singletons, in preparation, 2017.Google Scholar
- V. Pilaud: Signed tree associahedra, Extended abstract in 26th International Conference on Formal Power Series and Algebraic Combinatorics (FPSAC 2014), preprint, arXiv:1309.5222, 2013.Google Scholar
- J. Stasheff: From operads to ☎ysically" inspired theories, in: Operads: Proceedings of Renaissance Conferences (Hartfort, CT/Luminy, 1995), volume 202 of Contemporary Mathematics, 53–81, Cambridge, MA, 1997. American Mathematical Society, Appendix B by Steve Shnider and Jim Stasheff for a corrected polytope construction.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Associahedra, Tamari Lattices and Related Structures, Tamari Memorial Festschrift, F. Müller-Hoissen, J. M. Pallo and J. Stasheff eds., volume 299 of Progress in Mathematics, Springer, New York, 2012.Google Scholar
- X. Viennot: Catalan tableaux and the asymmetric exclusion process, in: 19th International Conference on Formal Power Series and Algebraic Combinatorics (FPSAC 2007). 2007.Google Scholar