A full ARMA model for counts with bounded support and its application to rainy-days time series
Motivated by a large dataset containing time series of weekly number of rainy days collected over two thousand locations across Europe and Russia for the period 2000–2010, we propose a new class of ARMA-like model for time series of bounded counts, which can also handle extra-binomial variation. We abbreviate this model as bvARMA, as it is based upon a novel operation referred to as binomial variation. After having discussed important stochastic properties and proposed a model-fitting approach relying on maximum likelihood estimation, we apply the bvARMA model family to the rainy-days time series. Results show that both bvAR and bvMA models are adequate and exhibit a similar performance. Furthermore, bvARMA results outperform those obtained by fitting ordinary discrete ARMA (NDARMA) models of the same order.
KeywordsBinomial variation Count time series ARMA structure Rainy-days time series
The authors thank the Associate Editor and the referees for carefully reading the article and for their comments, which greatly improved the article.
- Agnew MD, Goodess CM, Hemming D, Giannakopoulos C, Bindi M, Dibari C, El-Askary H, El-Hattab M, El-Raey M, Ferrise R, Harzallah A, Hatzak M, Kostopoulou E, Lionello P, Abed SS, Sánchez-Arcilla A, Senouci M, Sommer R, Zoheir Taleb M, Tanzarella A (2013) Stakeholders. In: Navarra A, Tubiana L (eds) Regional assessment of climate change in the mediterranean. Springer International Publishing, Berlin, pp 23–37CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Deckmyn A, Minka TP, Brownrigg R, Becker RA, Wilks AR (2017) maps: draw geographical maps. R package version 320Google Scholar
- Klein Tank AMG, Wijngaard JB, Können GP, Böhm R, Demarée G, Gocheva A, Mileta M, Pashiardis S, Hejkrlik L, Kern-Hansen C, Heino R, Bessemoulin P, Müller-Westermeier G, Tzanakou M, Szala S, Pálsdóttir T, Fitzgerald D, Rubin S, Capaldo M, Maugeri M, Leitass A, Bukantis A, Aberfeld R, van Engelen AFV, Forland E, Mietus M, Coelho F, Mares C, Razuvaev V, Nieplova E, Cegnar T, Antonio López J, Dahlström B, Moberg A, Kirchhofer W, Ceylan A, Pachaliuk O, Alexander LV, Petrovic P (2002) Daily dataset of 20th-century surface air temperature and precipitation series for the european climate assessment. Int J Climatol 22:1441–1453CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- R Core Team (2017) R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, ViennaGoogle Scholar
- WHO (2014) Climatic factors and the occurrence of dengue fever, dysentery and leptospirosis in Sri Lanka 1996–2010: a retrospective study. Technical report 65Google Scholar