Prevalence and predictors of blood transfusion after pediatric kidney transplantation
Blood transfusion after kidney transplant carries a risk of sensitization to the graft as well as blood borne infections.
The aim of this study was to describe the prevalence of blood transfusions in pediatric recipients of kidney transplants and to determine the factors associated with transfusions during the perioperative period. Additionally, to describe the changes in hemoglobin levels during the first 12 months following transplant.
A retrospective, single center analysis using data collected prospectively between 2010 and 2017. Red blood cell transfusion within the first week after transplant and anemia at 3 months were used as outcomes. Multivariate analysis was performed on significant variates with results described according to odds ratio (OR) and interquartile range (IQR).
Transfusions were given after 21 of 42 (50%) transplants in recipients aged between 1 and 17 years (median 14 years). Age, height, weight, and pre-transplant hemoglobin predicted transfusion in univariate analyses. Regression analysis identified pre-transplant hemoglobin as an independent factor (OR 0.85, IQR 0.73–0.98; p = 0.02). Anemia was present at 3 months after 15 (36%) transplants. Anemia at 3 months was associated with older and larger recipients, lower pre-transplant hemoglobin, and lower estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) on univariate analysis. Logistic regression analysis identified eGFR at 3 months as the only independent predictor of anemia at 3 months (OR 0.93, IQR 0.87–0.99; p = 0.04).
Transfusions are prevalent in the perioperative period after pediatric kidney transplantation. Lower pre-transplant hemoglobin increases the risk of transfusion. Graft function predicts hemoglobin levels at 3 months.
KeywordsKidney transplantation Child Blood transfusion Anemia Erythropoietin Risk factors
Compliance with ethical standards
The study had approval from the local human research ethics committee.
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 7.Faravardeh A, Eickhoff M, Jackson S, Issa N, Dunn T, Matas A, Ibrahim H (2013) Frequency of blood transfusion episodes after kidney transplantation is associated with development of class II donor specific antibodies. Am J Transplant 13:194Google Scholar
- 8.Ferrandiz I, Congy-Jolivet N, Del Bello A, Debiol B, Trébern-Launay K, Esposito L, Milongo D, Dörr G, Rostaing L, Kamar N (2016) Impact of early blood transfusion after kidney transplantation on the incidence of donor-specific anti-HLA antibodies. Am J Transplant 16:2661–2669CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Kidney disease: Improving global outcomes (KDIGO) anemia work group (2012) KDIGO clinical practice guideline for anemia in chronic kidney disease. Kidney Int Suppl:279–335Google Scholar
- 11.Palmer SC, Navaneethan SD, Craig JC, Johnson DW, Tonelli M, Garg AX, Pellegrini F, Ravani P, Jardine M, Perkovic V, Graziano G, McGee R, Nicolucci A, Tognoni G, Strippoli GF (2010) Meta-analysis: erythropoiesis-stimulating agents in patients with chronic kidney disease. Ann Intern Med 153:23–33CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.Pfeffer MA, Burdmann EA, Chen CY, Cooper ME, de Zeeuw D, Eckardt KU, Feyzi JM, Ivanovich P, Kewalramani R, Levey AS, Lewis EF, McGill JB, McMurray JJ, Parfrey P, Parving HH, Remuzzi G, Singh AK, Solomon SD, Toto R (2009) A trial of darbepoetin alfa in type 2 diabetes and chronic kidney disease. N Engl J Med 361:2019–2032CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 18.Cameron BM, Kennedy SE, Rawlinson WD, Mackie FE (2017) The efficacy of valganciclovir for prevention of infections with cytomegalovirus and Epstein-Barr virus after kidney transplant in children. Pediatr Transplant 21(1)Google Scholar
- 19.(2016) Patient blood management guidelines: Module 6 – Neonatal and Paediatrics. In: Authority NB (ed). National Blood Authority, Australia, Canberra, AustraliaGoogle Scholar
- 20.Scornik JC, Schold JD, Bucci M, Meier-Kriesche H-U (2009) Effects of blood transfusions given after renal transplantation. Transplantation 87:1381–1386Google Scholar
- 23.Krischock LA, van Stralen KJ, Verrina E, Tizard EJ, Bonthuis M, Reusz G, Hussain FK, Jankauskiene A, Novljan G, Spasojevic-Dimitrijeva B, Podracka L, Zaller V, Jager KJ, Schaefer F, Registry EE-E (2016) Anemia in children following renal transplantation-results from the ESPN/ERA-EDTA registry. Pediatr Nephrol 31:325–333CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar