Gastric per-oral endoscopic myotomy for refractory gastroparesis: a detailed description of the procedure, our experience, and review of the literature
- 32 Downloads
Background and Aims
Gastric per-oral endoscopic myotomy (G-POEM) was introduced four years ago as an investigational procedure for refractory gastroparesis. The safety and efficacy were currently evaluated. With our recent studies on G-POEM, we share our experience and knowledge through the discussion of a detailed description of the procedure and review of the literature. To our knowledge, this is the first systemic review on this new therapeutic endoscopic procedure.
The indications and contraindications, various aspects of the procedure, and efficacy assessment are discussed based on our experience and current available data.
Preoperative preparation, detailed description of the procedure, post-procedural care, and results in the literature are presented. The procedure is safe and effective. 70–80% of patients have significant improvement in overall symptoms and quality of life in short-term (6 months) follow-up, as assessed by Gastric Cardinal Symptom Index and Short Form 36.
G-POEM is a feasible and effective procedure for refractory gastroparesis based on early and limited data. Well-designed prospective studies are expected to advance and evaluate this new procedure in the future.
KeywordsGastroparesis G-POEM Per-oral pyloromyotomy
LL, wrote the first draft and revised of the manuscript; RS, CQ, YY, SL, HC, HX revised the manuscript; QC designed the study, performed the procedures, provided all the figures, and revised the manuscript.
Compliance with ethical standards
Drs Lianyong Li, Robert Spandorfer, Changmin Qu, Yongtao Yang, Shuwen Liang, Huimin Chen, Hanbing Xue, and Qiang Cai have no conflicts of interest or financial ties to disclose.
- 10.Khashab MA, Stein E, Clarke JO, Saxena P, Kumbhari V, Chander Roland B, Kalloo AN, Stavropoulos S, Pasricha P, Inoue H (2013) Gastric peroral endoscopic myotomy for refractory gastroparesis: first human endoscopic pyloromyotomy (with video). Gastrointest Endosc 78:764–768CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.Koul A, Dacha S, Mekaroonkamol P, Li X, Li L, Shahnavaz N, Keilin S, Willingham FF, Christie J, Cai Q (2017) Fluoroscopic gastric peroral endoscopic pyloromyotomy (G-POEM) in patients with a failed gastric electrical stimulator. Gastroenterol Rep. https://doi.org/10.1093/gastro/gox040 Google Scholar
- 16.Zhou JQ, Tang XW, Ren YT, Wei ZJ, Huang SL, Gao QP, Zhang XF, Yang JF, Gong W, Jiang B (2017) Endoscopic submucosal tunnel dissection of upper gastrointestinal submucosal tumors: a comparative study of hook knife vs hybrid knife. World J Gastroenterol 23:1843–1850CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 20.Abell TL, Camilleri M, Donohoe K, Hasler WL, Lin HC, Maurer AH, McCallum RW, Nowak T, Nusynowitz ML, Parkman HP, Shreve P, Szarka LA, Snape WJ Jr, Ziessman HA, American N, Motility S, the Society of Nuclear M (2008) Consensus recommendations for gastric emptying scintigraphy: a joint report of the American Neurogastroenterology and Motility Society and the Society of Nuclear Medicine. J Nucl Med Technol 36:44–54CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 21.Tougas G, Eaker EY, Abell TL, Abrahamsson H, Boivin M, Chen J, Hocking MP, Quigley EM, Koch KL, Tokayer AZ, Stanghellini V, Chen Y, Huizinga JD, Ryden J, Bourgeois I, McCallum RW (2000) Assessment of gastric emptying using a low fat meal: establishment of international control values. Am J Gastroenterol 95:1456–1462CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 22.Gonzalez JM, Lestelle V, Benezech A, Cohen J, Vitton V, Grimaud JC, Barthet M (2017) Gastric per-oral endoscopic myotomy with antropyloromyotomy in the treatment of refractory gastroparesis: clinical experience with follow-up and scintigraphic evaluation (with video). Gastrointest Endosc 85:132–139CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 23.Khashab MA, Ngamruengphong S, Carr-Locke D, Bapaye A, Benias PC, Serouya S, Dorwat S, Chaves DM, Artifon E, de Moura EG, Kumbhari V, Chavez YH, Bukhari M, Hajiyeva G, Ismail A, Chen YI, Chung H (2017) Gastric per-oral endoscopic myotomy for refractory gastroparesis: results from the first multicenter study on endoscopic pyloromyotomy (with video). Gastrointest Endosc 85:123–128CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 27.Chaves DM, Gusmon CC, Mestieri LH, de Moura EG, Veras MM, Pessorrusso FC, Sakai P (2014) A new technique for performing endoscopic pyloromyotomy by gastric submucosal tunnel dissection. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 24::e92-94Google Scholar
- 28.Geyl S, Legros R, Charissou A, Mesturoux L, Couquet CY, Carrier P, Brayette A, El-Ouafi Z, Loustaud-Ratti V, Sautereau D, Monteil J, Jacques J (2016) Peroral endoscopic pyloromyotomy accelerates gastric emptying in healthy pigs: proof of concept. Endosc Int Open 4::E796-799Google Scholar
- 33.Gonzalez JM, Vanbiervliet G, Vitton V, Benezech A, Lestelle V, Grimaud JC, Barthet M (2015) First European human gastric peroral endoscopic myotomy, for treatment of refractory gastroparesis. Endoscopy 47(Suppl 1 UCTN):E135–E136Google Scholar