Comparison of ENDO CUT mode and FORCED COAG mode for the formation of stricture after esophageal endoscopic submucosal dissection in an in vivo porcine model
Background and study aim
Stricture is a major complication of esophageal endoscopic submucosal dissection (ESD) for superficial esophageal carcinoma. To date, various methods have been developed to prevent stricture. However, the mechanism by which different electrosurgical unit (ESU) modes affect the formation of post-ESD stricture has not been evaluated. This study aimed to compare the degree of stricture caused by two major ESU modes (ENDO CUT mode and FORCED COAG mode) in a porcine model.
Twelve ESD procedures covering half of the circumference were performed in six pigs. Mucosal incision was performed with a ball-tip flush knife and submucosal dissection was performed with a hook knife; the two modes used were ENDO CUT I (Effect 2, Duration 2, Interval 3) and FORCED COAG mode (Effect 3, 40 W) (VIO300D, ERBE Germany). The pigs were killed humanely 30 days after ESD, and the severity of stricture and fibrosis was assessed.
The resected site of the esophagus showed complete mucosal regrowth and scar formation in all pigs. There was no significant difference between the two modes in procedure time and size of resected specimen (14.4 ± 2.4 and 15.9 ± 6.1 min, P = 0.589; 626 ± 148, 661 ± 186 mm2, P = 0.74, respectively). Stricture rate and severity of fibrosis in the submucosal layer were significantly lower in ENDO CUT mode than in FORCED COAG mode (31.5 ± 16.0% vs 44.3 ± 11.6%, P = 0.046; 36.2 ± 17.1% vs 60.4 ± 26.8%, P = 0.024, respectively).
ENDO CUT mode showed promising ability to attenuate fibrosis and stricture after esophageal ESD.
KeywordsEndoscopic submucosal dissection Post-ESD esophageal stricture Electrosurgical unit
This study was funded by The Osaka Foundation for The Prevention of Cancer and Life-style-related Diseases.
Compliance with ethical standards
Ryu Ishihara, Masamichi Arao, Yusuke Tonai, Taro Iwatsubo, Satoki Shichijyo, Noriko Matsuura, Hiroko Nakahira, Sachiko Yamamoto, Yoji Takeuchi, Koji Higashino, Noriya Uedo, and Shinichi Nakatsuka have no conflicts of interest or financial ties to disclose.
- 2.Yamashina T, Ishihara R, Nagai K, Matsuura N, Matsui F, Ito T, Fujii M, Yamamoto S, Hanaoka N, Takeuchi Y, Higashino K, Uedo N, Iishi H (2013) Long-term outcome and metastatic risk after endoscopic resection of superficial esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Am J Gastroenterol 108:544–551CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 3.Igaki H, Kato H, Tachimori Y, Daiko H, Fukaya M, Yajima S, Nakanishi Y (2001) Clinicopathologic characteristics and survival of patients with clinical stage I squamous cell carcinomas of the thoracic esophagus treated with three-field lymph node dissection. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 20:1089–1094CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 4.Yamamoto S, Ishihara R, Motoori M, Kawaguchi Y, Uedo N, Takeuchi Y, Higashino K, Yano M, Nakamura S, Iishi H (2011) Comparison between definitive chemoradiotherapy and esophagectomy in patients with clinical stage I esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Am J Gastroenterol 106:1048–1054CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Hanaoka N, Ishihara R, Takeuchi Y, Uedo N, Higashino K, Ohta T, Kanzaki H, Hanafusa M, Nagai K, Matsui F, Iishi H, Tatsuta M, Ito Y (2012) Intralesional steroid injection to prevent stricture after endoscopic submucosal dissection for esophageal cancer: a controlled prospective study. Endoscopy 44:1007–1011CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 11.Yamaguchi N, Isomoto H, Nakayama T, Hayashi T, Nishiyama H, Ohnita K, Takeshima F, Shikuwa S, Kohno S, Nakao K (2011) Usefulness of oral prednisolone in the treatment of esophageal stricture after endoscopic submucosal dissection for superficial esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Gastrointest Endosc 73:1115–1121CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Fernández-Esparrach G, Calderón A, de la Peña J, Díaz Tasende JB, Esteban JM, Gimeno-García AZ, Herreros de Tejada A, Martínez-Ares D, Nicolás-Pérez D, Nogales O, Ono A, Orive-Calzada A, Parra-Blanco A, Rodríguez Muñoz S, Sánchez Hernández E, Sánchez-Yagüe A, Vázquez-Sequeirosa E, Vila J, López Rosés L (2014) Endoscopic submucosal dissection. Endoscopy 46:361–370CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 24.Tonai Y, Ishihara R, Yamasaki Y, Arao M, Iwatsubo T, Kato M, Suzuki S, Hamada K, Shichijo S, Matsuura N, Kanesaka T, Nakahira H, Yamamoto S, Akasaka T, Hanaoka N, Takeuchi Y, Higashino K, Uedo N, Tomita Y, Iishi H (in press) Impact of electrosurgical unit mode on post esophageal endoscopic submucosal dissection stricture in an in vivo porcine model. Endosc Int OpenGoogle Scholar