Improved Approximation Algorithms for the Spanning Star Forest Problem
- 242 Downloads
A star graph is a tree of diameter at most two. A star forest is a graph that consists of node-disjoint star graphs. In the spanning star forest problem, given an unweighted graph G, the objective is to find a star forest that contains all vertices of G and has the maximum number of edges. This problem is the complement of the dominating set problem in the following sense: On a graph with n vertices, the size of the maximum spanning star forest is equal to n minus the size of the minimum dominating set.
We present a 0.71-approximation algorithm for this problem, improving upon the approximation factor of 0.6 of Nguyen et al. (SIAM J. Comput. 38:946–962, 2008). We also present a 0.64-approximation algorithm for the problem on node-weighted graphs. Finally, we present improved hardness of approximation results for the weighted (both edge-weighted and node-weighted) versions of the problem.
Our algorithms use a non-linear rounding scheme, which might be of independent interest.
KeywordsApproximation algorithms Spanning star forest problem
- 1.Agra, A., Cardoso, D., Cerdeira, O., Rocha, E.: A spanning star forest model for the diversity problem in automobile industry. In: ECCO XVIII, Minsk, May 2005 Google Scholar
- 3.Athanassopoulos, S., Caragiannis, I., Kaklamanis, C., Kyropoulou, M.: An improved approximation bound for spanning star forest and color saving. In: Mathematical Foundations of Computer Science, pp. 90–101 (2009) Google Scholar
- 7.Goemans, M.: Mathematical programming and approximation algorithms. Lecture at Udine School, Udine, Italy (1996) Google Scholar
- 13.Slavík, P.: A tight analysis of the greedy algorithm for set cover. In: ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, pp. 435–441 (1996) Google Scholar
- 14.Srinivasan, A.: New approaches to covering and packing problems. In: ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms, pp. 567–576 (2001) Google Scholar
- 15.Srinivasan, A.: Personal communication, August 2009 Google Scholar