Using demand side management and CHP in renewable dominated decentral energy systems: a case study
- 233 Downloads
Germany targets to increase the electricity generation from renewable energy sources and combined heat and power plants. The selected targets increase the total cost of electricity carried by consumers as well as increases the share of decentralized energy generation. To achieve higher cost effectiveness as well as increasing the decentralized share of renewable energy, pressure is put on decentralized energy system operation management and expansion planning. This work studies a decentralized expansion planning with a special focus in generating flexibility options in a decentralized region with a high share of renewable energy generation. The analysis is conducted with a scenario-based optimization modeling approach. The results show that flexibility options can reduce the cost of the system. However, the side effect of a decentralized market-oriented operation can lead to a difficulty of grid control. The region should set a long term expansion plan with the consideration of flexibility options, generation technologies as well as ICT infrastructure.
KeywordsDecentralized energy system Optimization DSM Flexibility
The publication of this work has been financially supported by the German Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy within the project “NEMAR” looking at the electricity and smart grid infrastructure.
- 1.Thomsen J (2017) Enhancing operation of decentralized energy systems by a regional economic optimization model DISTRICT. J Energy Syst (submitted)Google Scholar
- 2.Saad Hussein N (2017) Optimizing energy efficiency and renewable energy deployment by a sector coupling operation and expansion model. J Energy Syst (submitted)Google Scholar
- 3.Transnet BW (2015) Netzentwicklungsplan Strom 2050. Zweiter Entwurf der bertragungsnetzbetreiber. Amprion, 50 Hertz, TennetGoogle Scholar
- 4.Hessisches Statistisches Landesamt (2011) Bevoelkerung und Haushalte: Bundesland HessenGoogle Scholar
- 5.Hessisches Statistisches Landesamt (2011) Bevoelkerung und Haushalte: Gemeinde WolfhagenGoogle Scholar
- 6.Wanapinit N (2016) Techno-economic evaluation of decentralized energy system expansion using an optimization model: a case study of a high renewable energy generation region in Germany. Master thesis, University of FreiburgGoogle Scholar