Enhanced production of anti-PD1 antibody in CHO cells through transient co-transfection with anti-apoptotic genes Bcl-x L and Mcl-1
- 154 Downloads
Apoptosis has a negative impact on the cell survival state during cell cultivation. To optimize mammalian cell culture for production of biopharmaceuticals, one of the important approaches is to extend cell life through over-expression of anti-apoptotic genes. Here, we reported a cost-effective process to enhance cell survival and production of an antibody through transient co-transfection with anti-apoptotic genes Bcl-x L or Mcl-1 in Chinese hamster ovary (CHO) cells with polyethylenimine (PEI). Under the optimal conditions, it showed reduced levels of apoptosis and improved cell viability after co-transfected with Bcl-x L or Mcl-1. The overall production yield of the antibody anti-PD1 increased approximately 82% in CHO cells co-transfected with Bcl-x L , and 34% in CHO cells co-transfected with Mcl-1. This work provides an effective way to increase viability of host cells through delaying apoptosis onset, thus, raise production yield of biopharmaceuticals without the process of generating stable cell lines and subsequent screening.
KeywordsAnti-apoptosis Bcl-xL Chinese hamster ovary cell Mcl-1 Transient gene expression
This project was supported by Natural Science Foundation of Shanghai [Grant No. 15ZR1423800].
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
All the authors reviewed and agreed to submit this manuscript. The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
Research involving human participants and/or animals
The study does not contain experiments using animals and human studies.
- 2.Birch JR, Onakunle Y (2005) Biopharmaceutical proteins: opportunities and challenges. In: Smales CM, James DC (eds) Methods in molecular biology. Therapeutic proteins: methods and protocols, vol 308. Humana Press, Inc., Totowa, NJ, pp 1–16Google Scholar
- 5.DrugBank (2017) About DrugBank. https://www.drugbank.ca/about. Accessed 14 Nov 2017
- 6.Zhu J (2013) Update on production of recombinant therapeutic protein: transient gene expression. Smithers Rapra, ShropshireGoogle Scholar
- 12.Jain NK, Barkowski-Clark S, Altman R, Johnson K, Sun F, Zmuda J, Liu CY, Kita A, Schulz R, Neill A, Ballinger R, Patel R, Liu J, Mpanda A, Huta B, Chiou H, Voegtli W, Panavas T (2017) A high density CHO-S transient transfection system: comparison of ExpiCHO and Expi293. Protein Expr Purif 134:38–46CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Meents H, Enenkel B, Eppenberger HM, Werner RG, Fussenegger M (2002) Impact of coexpression and coamplification of sICAM and antiapoptosis determinants Bcl-2/Bcl-xL on productivity, cell survival, and mitochondria number in CHO-DG44 grown in suspension and serum-free media. Biotechnol Bioeng 80:706–716CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 30.Gauthier ER, Piche L, Lemieux G, Lemieux R (1996) Role of Bcl-xL in the control of apoptosis in murine myeloma cells. Cancer Res 56:1451–1456Google Scholar
- 46.Sandhu KS, Al-Rubeai M (2009) The effect of Bcl-2, YAMA, and XIAP over-expression on apoptosis and adenovirus production in HEK293 cell line. Biotechnol Bioeng 104:752–765Google Scholar