Optimization of biodiesel synthesis by esterification using a fermented solid produced by Rhizopus microsporus on sugarcane bagasse
A fermented solid containing lipases was produced by solid-state fermentation of Rhizopus microsporus on sugarcane bagasse enriched with urea, soybean oil, and a mineral solution. The dry fermented solid produced using R. microsporus (RMFS) was used to catalyze the synthesis of alkyl-esters by esterification in a solvent-free system containing ethanol and oleic acid (as a model system) or a mixture of fatty acids obtained from the physical hydrolysis of soybean soapstock acid oil (FA-SSAO) in subcritical water. The conversions were 93.5 and 84.1%, for oleic acid and FA-SSAO, respectively, at 48 h and 40 °C, at a molar ratio (MR) of ethanol to fatty acid of 5:1. A further increase in the MR to 10:1 improved the production of ethylic-esters, giving conversions at 48 h of 98 and 86% for oleic acid and FA-SSAO, respectively. The results obtained in this work foster further studies on scaling-up of an environmentally friendly process to produce biofuels.
KeywordsLipases Solid-state fermentation Rhizopus microsporus Esterification Biodiesel
Research scholarships were granted to Nadia Krieger and David Mitchell by CNPq (Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico, Brasil) and to Vanderleia Botton by CAPES (Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior, Brasil).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- 7.Aguieiras ECG, Barros DSN, Sousa H, Fernandez-Lafuente R, Freire DMG (2017) Influence of the raw material on the final properties of biodiesel produced using lipase from Rhizomucor miehei grown on babassu cake as biocatalyst of esterification reactions. Renew Energy 113:112–118CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Todeschini JKP, Aguieiras ECG, Castro AM, Langone MAP, Freire DMG, Rodrigues RC (2016) Synthesis of butyl esters via ultrasound-assisted transesterification of macaúba (Acrocomia aculeata) acid oil using a biomass-derived fermented solid as biocatalyst. J Mol Catal B Enzym 133:S213–S219CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Pitol LO, Finkler ATJ, Dias GS, Machado AS, Zanin GM, Mitchell DA, Krieger K (2017) Optimization studies to develop a low-cost medium for production of the lipases of Rhizopus microsporus by solid-state fermentation and scale-up of the process to a pilot packed-bed bioreactor. Process Biochem 62:37–47CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Alberton D, Mitchell DA, Cordova J, Zamora PP, Krieger N (2010) Production of a fermented solid containing lipases of Rhizopus microsporus and its application in the pre-hydrolysis of a high-fat dairy wastewater. Food Technol Biotech 48:28–35Google Scholar
- 23.Johnson RA, Wichern DW (1992) Applied multivariate statistical analysis. Upper Saddle River, New JerseyGoogle Scholar
- 24.European Standard EN 14103 (2003) Fat and oil derivatives, fatty acid methyl esters, determination of ester and linolenic acid methyl ester contents. European Committee for StandardizationGoogle Scholar
- 37.Soares D, Serres JDS, Corazza ML, Mitchell DA, Gonçalves AG, Krieger N (2015) Analysis of multiphasic behavior during the ethyl-esterification of fatty acids catalyzed by a fermented solid with lipolytic activity in a packed-bed bioreactor in a closed-loop batch system. Fuel 159:364–372CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 41.Fallavena LP, Antunes FHF, Alves JS, Paludo N, Ayub MAZ, Fernández-Lafuente R, Rodrigues RC (2015) Ultrasound technology and molecular sieves improve the thermodynamically controlled esterification of butyric acid mediated by immobilized lipase from Rhizomucor miehei. RSC Adv 4:8675–8681CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 42.Botton V (2014) Síntese de ésteres etílicos catalisada pela adição direta desólido fermentado de Rhizopus microsporus CBPQA 312–07 DRM em sistema livre de solventes (Doctoral dissertation). http://www.acervodigital.ufpr.br/bitstream/handle/1884/40541/R%20-%20T%20-%20VANDERLEIA%20BOTTON.pdf . Accessed 2 Sep 2017
- 43.LEGISWEB (2018) Resolução ANP Nº 45 DE 25/08/2014. https://www.legisweb.com.br/legislacao/?id=274064. Accessed 19 Jan 2018
- 55.Lage FAP, Bassi JJ, Corradini MCC, Todero LM, Luiz JHH, Mendes AA (2016) Preparation of a biocatalyst via physical adsorption of lipase from Thermomyces lanuginosus on hydrophobic support to catalyze biolubricant synthesis by esterification reaction in a solvent-free system. Enzyme Microb Tech 84:56–67CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 56.Salih N, Salimon J, Yousif E (2011) Synthesis of oleic acid based esters as potential basestock for biolubricant production. Turk J Eng Env Sci 35:115–123Google Scholar