Enhanced expression of fibroblast growth factor 2 in bone marrow cells and its potential role in the differentiation of hepatic epithelial stem-like cells into the hepatocyte lineage
- 115 Downloads
The transplantation of bone marrow cells (BMCs) has been applied in liver regenerative cell therapy. However, details of the interaction between the transplanted BMCs and hepatic stem cells have not been elucidated. The aim of the present study was to investigate the interaction of BMCs with hepatic stem-like cells (HSLCs) and to determine the BMC factor that steers HSLC differentiation into the hepatocyte lineage. Both BMCs and HSLCs were obtained from an adult Sprague-Dawley rat, and a co-culture system was established. Cell proliferation was analyzed by a proliferation assay, and the differentiation of HSLCs into the hepatocyte lineage was evaluated by the detection of cellular mRNA for liver-specific proteins. DNA microarray analysis was applied to BMCs co-cultured with HSLCs to determine the genes upregulated by their interaction. The proliferation of HSLCs co-cultured with BMCs was significantly higher than that of HSLCs cultured alone, and the expression of mRNAs for both albumin and tryptophan-2,3-dioxygenase was detectable in the co-cultured HSLCs. DNA microarray analysis showed the upregulated expression of fibroblast growth factor 2 (FGF2) mRNA in BMCs co-cultured with HSLCs, and the expression of mRNAs for both albumin and tyrosine aminotransferase became detectable in HSLCs cultured with FGF2. Thus, BMCs stimulate both the proliferation of HSLCs and their differentiation into the hepatocyte lineage. FGF2 is one of the factors that is produced by the interacting BMCs and that stimulates this differentiation.
KeywordsBone marrow Hepatic stem cell Interaction FGF2 Differentiation Rat (Sprague-Dawley)
The authors thank Dr. T. Sugiyama (Akita University School of Medicine, Japan) fot the gift of HSLC.
Conflicts of interest
We have no conflicts of interest to declare.
- Hu Z, Evarts RP, Fujio K, Marsden ER, Thorgeirsson SS (1993) Expression of hepatocyte growth factor and c-met genes during hepatic differentiation and liver development in the rat. Am J Pathol 42:1823–1830Google Scholar
- Ishikawa T, Terai S, Urata Y, Marumoto Y, Aoyama K, Murata T, Mizunaga Y, Yamamoto N, Nishina H, Shinoda K, Sakaida I (2007) Administration of fibroblast growth factor 2 in combination with bone marrow transplantation synergistically improves carbon-tetrachloride-induced liver fibrosis in mice. Cell Tissue Res 327:463–470CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Lederman RJ, Mendelsohn FO, Anderson RD, Saucedo JF, Tenaglia AN, Hermiller JB, Hillegass WB, Rocha-Singh K, Moon TE, Whitehouse MJ, Annex BH, Investigators TRAFFIC (2002) Therapeutic angiogenesis with recombinant fibroblast growth factor-2 for intermittent claudication (the TRAFFIC study): a randomised trial. Lancet 359:2053–2058CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Miura K, Nagai H, Ueno Y, Goto T, Mikami K, Nakane K, Yoneyama K, Watanabe D, Terada K, Sugiyama T, Imai K, Senoo H, Watanabe S (2003) Epimorphin is involved in differentiation of rat hepatic stem-like cells through cell-cell contact. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 311:415–423CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Nagai H, Terada K, Watanabe G, Ueno Y, Aiba N, Shibuya T, Kawagoe M, Kameda T, Sato M, Senoo H, Sugiyama T (2002) Differentiation of liver epithelial (stem-like) cells into hepatocytes induced by coculture with hepatic stellate cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 293:1420–1425CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Okumoto K, Saito T, Hattori E, Ito JI, Suzuki A, Misawa K, Ishii R, Karasawa T, Haga H, Sanjo M, Takeda T, Sugahara K, Saito K, Togashi H, Kawata S (2005a) Differentiation of rat bone marrow cells cultured on artificial basement membrane containing extracellular matrix into a liver cell lineage. J Hepatol 43:110–116CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Okumoto K, Saito T, Hattori E, Ito JI, Suzuki A, Misawa K, Sanjyo M, Takeda T, Sugahara K, Saito K, Togashi H, Kawata S (2005b) Expression of Notch signaling markers in bone marrow cells that differentiate into a liver cell lineage in a rat transplanted model. Hepatol Res 31:7–12CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Okumoto K, Saito T, Haga H, Hattori E, Ishii R, Karasawa T, Suzuki A, Misawa K, Sanjo M, Ito JI, Sugahara K, Saito K, Togashi H, Kawata S (2006) Characteristics of rat bone marrow cells differentiated into a liver cell lineage and dynamics of the transplanted cells in the injured liver. J Gastroenterol 41:62–69CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Saji Y, Tamura S, Yoshida Y, Kiso S, Iizuka AS, Matsumoto H, Kawasaki T, Kamada Y, Matsuzawa Y, Shinomura Y (2004) Basic fibroblast growth factor promotes the trans-differentiation of mouse bone marrow cells into hepatic lineage cells via multiple liver-enriched transcription factors. J Hepatol 41:545–450CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Shiota G, Kunisada T, Oyama K, Udagawa A, Nomi T, Tanaka K, Tsutsumi A, Isono M, Nakamura T, Hamada H, Sakatani T, Sell S, Sato K, Ito H, Kawasaki H (2000) In vivo transfer of hepatocyte growth factor gene accelerates proliferation of hepatic oval cells in a 2-acetylaminofluorene/partial hepatectomy model in rats. FEBS Lett 470:325–330CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar