A functional variant of the collagen type III alpha1 gene modify risk of sporadic intracranial aneurysms
- 464 Downloads
Abnormalities in type III collagen in the arterial walls cause certain familial intracranial aneurysms (IAs); however, it remains unknown whether COL3A1 variants contribute to the risk of sporadic IAs. To study whether COL3A1 variants are associated with sporadic IAs, the association of COL3A1 variants with sporadic IAs was tested in 298 cases and 488 controls, replicated in an independent population of 192 cases and 1,690 controls, and further verified in 633 patients with intra-cerebral hemorrhage, 1,074 hypertensives, and 1,883 controls. We found that allele A of SNP rs1800255 conferred a 1.71-fold increased risk for IAs (adjusted odds ratio: OR = 1.71, 95% confidence interval: CI 1.19–2.45, P = 0.004) and results in an amino acid change of Ala698Thr, which led to a lower thermal stability of the peptide. These results were confirmed in the independent study. The associations were independent of the presence of hemorrhagic stroke and hypertension. These results support the view that the functional variant of COL3A1 is genetic risk factors for IAs in the Chinese population.
KeywordsDigital Subtraction Angiography Intracerebral Hemorrhage Intracranial Aneurysm Hemorrhagic Stroke Variant Rs1800255
We thank the DNA donors and the supporting medical staff for making this study possible. The study was supported by the International S&T Cooperation Program of China (ISTCP) (No. 2009DFB30050 to Hui Rutai) and the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No.30973109 to Pang Qi).
- Bilguvar K, Yasuno K, Niemela M, Ruigrok YM, von Und Zu, Fraunberg M, van Duijn CM, van den Berg LH, Mane S, Mason CE, Choi M, Gaal E, Bayri Y, Kolb L, Arlier Z, Ravuri S, Ronkainen A, Tajima A, Laakso A, Hata A, Kasuya H, Koivisto T, Rinne J, Ohman J, Breteler MM, Wijmenga C, State MW, Rinkel GJ, Hernesniemi J, Jaaskelainen JE, Palotie A, Inoue I, Lifton RP, Gunel M (2008) Susceptibility loci for intracranial aneurysm in European and Japanese populations. Nat Genet 40:1472–1477PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kubo M, Hata J, Ninomiya T, Matsuda K, Yonemoto K, Nakano T, Matsushita T, Yamazaki K, Ohnishi Y, Saito S, Kitazono T, Ibayashi S, Sueishi K, Iida M, Nakamura Y, Kiyohara Y (2007) A nonsynonymous SNP in PRKCH (protein kinase C eta) increases the risk of cerebral infarction. Nat Genet 39:212–217PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Schwarze U, Schievink WI, Petty E, Jaff MR, Babovic-Vuksanovic D, Cherry KJ, Pepin M, Byers PH (2001) Haploinsufficiency for one COL3A1 allele of type III procollagen results in a phenotype similar to the vascular form of Ehlers–Danlos syndrome, Ehlers–Danlos syndrome type IV. Am J Hum Genet 69:989–1001PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yamada Y, Fuku N, Tanaka M, Aoyagi Y, Sawabe M, Metoki N, Yoshida H, Satoh K, Kato K, Watanabe S, Nozawa Y, Hasegawa A, Kojima T (2009) Identification of CELSR1 as a susceptibility gene for ischemic stroke in Japanese individuals by a genome-wide association study. Atherosclerosis 207:144–149PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yasuno K, Bilguvar K, Bijlenga P, Low SK, Krischek B, Auburger G, Simon M, Krex D, Arlier Z, Nayak N, Ruigrok YM, Niemela M, Tajima A, von und zu Fraunberg M, Doczi T, Wirjatijasa F, Hata A, Blasco J, Oszvald A, Kasuya H, Zilani G, Schoch B, Singh P, Stuer C, Risselada R, Beck J, Sola T, Ricciardi F, Aromaa A, Illig T, Schreiber S, van Duijn CM, van den Berg LH, Perret C, Proust C, Roder C, Ozturk AK, Gaal E, Berg D, Geisen C, Friedrich CM, Summers P, Frangi AF, State MW, Wichmann HE, Breteler MM, Wijmenga C, Mane S, Peltonen L, Elio V, Sturkenboom MC, Lawford P, Byrne J, Macho J, Sandalcioglu EI, Meyer B, Raabe A, Steinmetz H, Rufenacht D, Jaaskelainen JE, Hernesniemi J, Rinkel GJ, Zembutsu H, Inoue I, Palotie A, Cambien F, Nakamura Y, Lifton RP, Gunel M (2010) Genome-wide association study of intracranial aneurysm identifies three new risk loci. Nat Genet 42:420–425Google Scholar