Auerbachia bajadi sp. n. (Myxozoa: Auerbachiidae) infecting the gallbladder of orangespotted trevally Carangoides bajad (Teleostei: Carangidae) in the Red Sea
- 100 Downloads
Light microscopic description was presented for a new myxosporean species, Auerbachia bajadi. The parasite was collected from the gallbladder of orangespotted trevally Carangoides bajad (Forsskål, 1775) in Al-Quseir city, Red Sea coast, Egypt. The prevalence was 30/80 (37%) and the infection was reported as an enormous amount of free mature spores floating in the bile. Spores were club-shaped with a broad anterior part and a narrow caudal part. Shell valves were asymmetrical and the larger valve was drawn into a wide caudal projection. The mean spore measurements were 22.7 μm in total length and 9.5 μm in width. Polar capsule was single and elliptical-shaped with five polar filament turns. The polar capsule measured 9.5 μm in length and 4.5 μm in width. The spores were distinctly different from the four recorded species of genus Auerbachia. One of the cited species of this genus was excluded as it was related to genus Coccomyxa than genus Auerbachia. Also, the accurate citation date of this genus was discussed.
KeywordsCitation Date Polar Capsule Polar Filament Mature Spore Shell Valve
This work was gratefully supported by the Center of Excellence for Biodiversity Research, College of Science, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
- Dorothi KP, Kalavati C, Vaidehi J (1998) Three new species of myxozoans from teleosts of Bay of Bengal. Riv Parassitol 15:67–72Google Scholar
- Kent ML, Andree KB, Bartholomew JL, EL-Matbouli M, Desser SS, Devlin RH, Feist SW, Hedrick RP, Hoffmann RW, Khattra J, Hallett SL, Lester RJG, Longshaw M, Palezuela O, Siddall M, Xiao C (2001) Recent advances in our knowledge of the Myxozoa. J Eukaryot Microbiol 48:395–413CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Leger L, Hesse E (1907) Sure une nouvelle Myxosporidia parasite de sardine. C R Acad Sci 145:89–100Google Scholar
- Lom J, Dykova I (1992) Protozoan parasites of fishes. Elsevier Science, Amsterdam, 315Google Scholar
- Lom J, Noble ER, Laird M (1975) Myxosporidia from the deep-sea fish Macrourus berglax, off Newfoundland and Iceland. Folia Parasitol 22:105–109Google Scholar
- Meglitsch PA (1968) Some coelozoic myxosporidia from New Zealand fishes II. On a new genus of Myxosporidia, Auerbachia. Proc Iowa Acad Sci 75:379–401Google Scholar
- Sarkar NK (2006) Auerbachia hepatica sp. n. (Auerbachiidae, Evdokimova 1973) and Sinuolinea renalis sp. n. (Sinuolineidae, Shulman, 1959) from the teleosts of coastal water of Bay of Bengal. Uttar Pradesh J Zool 26(3):319–323Google Scholar