Chemotherapy treatment is associated with altered PD-L1 expression in lung cancer patients
While the predictive value of programmed cell death ligand-1 (PD-L1) protein expression for immune checkpoint inhibitor therapy of lung cancer has been extensively studied, the impact of standard platinum-based chemotherapy on PD-L1 or programmed cell death-1 (PD-1) expression is unknown. The aim of this study was to determine the changes in PD-L1 expression of tumor cells (TC) and immune cells (IC), in PD-1 expression of IC, and in the amount of stromal mononuclear cell infiltration after platinum-based chemotherapy in patients with lung cancer.
Materials and methods
We determined the amount of stromal mononuclear cells and PD-L1/PD-1 expressions by immunohistochemistry in bronchoscopic biopsy samples including 20 adenocarcinomas (ADC), 15 squamous cell carcinomas (SCC), 2 other types of non-small cell lung cancer, and 4 small cell lung cancers together with their corresponding surgical resection tissues after platinum-based chemotherapy.
PD-L1 expression of TC decreased in ten patients (24.4%) and increased in three patients (7.32%) after neoadjuvant chemotherapy (p = 0.051). The decrease in PD-L1 expression, however, was significant only in patients who received cisplatin–gemcitabine combination (p = 0.020), while in the carboplatin–paclitaxel group, no similar tendency could be observed (p = 0.432). There was no difference between ADC and SCC groups. Neither PD-1 expression nor the amount of stromal IC infiltration showed significant changes after chemotherapy.
This is the first study, in which both PD-L1 and PD-1 expression were analyzed together with the amount of stromal IC infiltration in different histological subtypes of lung cancer before and after platinum-based chemotherapy. Our results confirm that chemotherapy decreases PD-L1 expression of TC in a subset of patients, therefore, rebiopsy and re-evaluation of PD-L1 expression may be necessary for the indication of immune checkpoint inhibitor therapy.
KeywordsPD-L1 PD-1 Immunohistochemistry Lung cancer Chemotherapy
Non-small cell lung cancer
Programmed cell death ligand-1
Programmed cell death-1
Squamous cell carcinoma
Small cell lung cancer
We thank Zsuzsanna Kaminszky, Anna Tamási and Mónika Szilágyiné Paulusz for their excellent technical assistance, and Ildikó Krencz for constructing the tissue microarray (TMA) blocks.
This work was supported by the Research and Technology Innovation Fund (KTIA_NAP_13-2014-0021 to L.R., Z.S., J.M.); Hungarian Science Foundation (OTKA-PD115792 to L.R., OTKA-K116151 to L.R., J.T., B.D., OTKA-K112371 to J.T.); Breast Cancer Research Foundation and the Novo Nordisk Foundation Interdisciplinary Synergy Programme Grant (NNF15OC0016584 to Z.S.). For the remaining authors none were declared.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare no conflict of interest.
Permissions to use the archived tissue have been obtained from the Regional Ethical Committee (Nos: 510/2013, 86/2015, 241/2016).
- Doi T, Ishikawa T, Okayama T, Oka K, Mizushima K, Yasuda T, Sakamoto N, Katada K, Kamada K, Uchiyama K, Handa O, Takagi T, Naito Y, Itoh Y (2017) The JAK/STAT pathway is involved in the upregulation of PD-L1 expression in pancreatic cancer cell lines. Oncol Rep 37(3):1545–1554. https://doi.org/10.3892/or.2017.5399 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Festino L, Botti G, Lorigan P, Masucci GV, Hipp JD, Horak CE, Melero I, Ascierto PA, Cancer treatment with anti-PD-1/PD-L1 agents: is PD-L1 expression a biomarker for patient selection? Drugs 76(9) (2016) 925–45. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40265-016-0588-x
- Ghebeh H, Lehe C, Barhoush E, Al-Romaih K, Tulbah A, Al-Alwan M, Hendrayani SF, Manogaran P, Alaiya A, Al-Tweigeri T, Aboussekhra A, Dermime S (2010) Doxorubicin downregulates cell surface B7-H1 expression and upregulates its nuclear expression in breast cancer cells: role of B7-H1 as an anti-apoptotic molecule. Breast Cancer Res BCR 12(4):R48. https://doi.org/10.1186/bcr2605 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kerr KM, Nicolson MC, Non-small cell lung cancer, PD-L1, and the pathologist. Arch Pathol Lab Med 140(3) (2016) 249–54. https://doi.org/10.5858/arpa.2015-0303-SA
- Li Q, Yuan D, Ma C, Liu Y, Ma L, Lv T, Song Y, A new hope: the immunotherapy in small cell lung cancer. Neoplasma 63(3) (2016) 342–350. https://doi.org/10.4149/302_151001n511
- Meert AP, Martin B, Verdebout JM, Paesmans M, Berghmans T, Ninane V, Sculier JP (2004) Correlation of different markers (p53, EGF-R, c-erbB-2, Ki-67) expression in the diagnostic biopsies and the corresponding resected tumors in non-small cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer (Amsterdam Netherlands) 44(3):295–301. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lungcan.2003.12.009 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Munari E, Zamboni G, Marconi M, Sommaggio M, Brunelli M, Martignoni G, Netto GJ, Moretta F, Mingari MC, Salgarello M, Terzi A, Picece V, Pomari C, Lunardi G, Cavazza A, Rossi G, Moretta L, Bogina G (2017) PD-L1 expression heterogeneity in non-small cell lung cancer: evaluation of small biopsies reliability. Oncotarget 8(52):90123–90131. https://doi.org/10.18632/oncotarget.21485 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Passiglia F, Bronte G, Bazan V, Natoli C, Rizzo S, Galvano A, Listi A, Cicero G, Rolfo C, Santini D, Russo A (2016) PD-L1 expression as predictive biomarker in patients with NSCLC: a pooled analysis. Oncotarget 7(15):19738-47. https://doi.org/10.18632/oncotarget.7582 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Peng J, Hamanishi J, Matsumura N, Abiko K, Murat K, Baba T, Yamaguchi K, Horikawa N, Hosoe Y, Murphy SK, Konishi I, Mandai M (2015) Chemotherapy induces programmed cell death-ligand 1 overexpression via the nuclear factor-kappaB to foster an immunosuppressive tumor microenvironment in ovarian cancer. Cancer Res 75(23):5034-5045. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.can-14-3098 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Reck M, Rodriguez-Abreu D, Robinson AG, Hui R, Csoszi T, Fulop A, Gottfried M, Peled N, Tafreshi A, Cuffe S, O’Brien M, Rao S, Hotta K, Leiby MA, Lubiniecki GM, Shentu Y, Rangwala R, Brahmer JR (2016) Pembrolizumab versus chemotherapy for PD-L1-positive non-small-cell lung cancer. New Engl J Med 375(19):1823–1833. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1606774 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Salgado R, Denkert C, Demaria S, Sirtaine N, Klauschen F, Pruneri G, Wienert S, Van den Eynden G, Baehner FL, Penault-Llorca F, Perez EA, Thompson EA, Symmans WF, Richardson AL, Brock J, Criscitiello C, Bailey H, Ignatiadis M, Floris G, Sparano J, Kos Z, Nielsen T, Rimm DL, Allison KH, Reis-Filho JS, Loibl S, Sotiriou C, Viale G, Badve S, Adams S, Willard-Gallo K, Loi S, The evaluation of tumor-infiltrating lymphocytes (TILs) in breast cancer: recommendations by an International TILs Working Group 2014. Ann Oncol 26(2) (2015) 259–271. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdu450
- Spira AI, Park K, Mazières J, Vansteenkiste JF, Rittmeyer A, Ballinger M, Waterkamp D, Kowanetz M, Mokatrin A, Fehrenbacher L (2015) Efficacy, safety and predictive biomarker results from a randomized phase II study comparing MPDL3280A vs docetaxel in 2L/3L NSCLC (POPLAR). J Clin Oncol 33(15_suppl): 8010–8010. https://doi.org/10.1200/jco.2015.33.15_suppl.8010 Google Scholar
- Teglasi V, Reiniger L, Fabian K, Pipek O, Csala I, Bago AG, Varallyai P, Vizkeleti L, Rojko L, Timar J, Dome B, Szallasi Z, Swanton C, Moldvay J (2017) Evaluating the significance of density, localization, and PD-1/PD-L1 immunopositivity of mononuclear cells in the clinical course of lung adenocarcinoma patients with brain metastasis. Neuro Oncol. https://doi.org/10.1093/neuonc/now309 PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Travis WD, Brambilla E, Noguchi M, Nicholson AG, Geisinger KR, Yatabe Y, Beer DG, Powell CA, Riely GJ, Van Schil PE, Garg K, Austin JH, Asamura H, Rusch VW, Hirsch FR, Scagliotti G, Mitsudomi T, Huber RM, Ishikawa Y, Jett J, Sanchez-Cespedes M, Sculier JP, Takahashi T, Tsuboi M, Vansteenkiste J, Wistuba I, Yang PC, Aberle D, Brambilla C, Flieder D, Franklin W, Gazdar A, Gould M, Hasleton P, Henderson D, Johnson B, Johnson D, Kerr K, Kuriyama K, Lee JS, Miller VA, Petersen I, Roggli V, Rosell R, Saijo N, Thunnissen E, Tsao M, Yankelewitz D (2011) International association for the study of lung cancer/american thoracic society/european respiratory society international multidisciplinary classification of lung adenocarcinoma. J Thorac Oncol 6(2) 244–285. https://doi.org/10.1097/JTO.0b013e318206a221 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yang CY, Lin MW, Chang YL, Wu CT, Yang PC (1990) Programmed cell death-ligand 1 expression is associated with a favourable immune microenvironment and better overall survival in stage I pulmonary squamous cell carcinoma. Eur J Cancer (Oxford England) 57:(2016) 91–103. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2015.12.033 Google Scholar
- Zhang P, Ma Y, Lv C, Huang M, Li M, Dong B, Liu X, An G, Zhang W, Zhang J, Zhang L, Zhang S, Yang Y (2016) Upregulation of programmed cell death ligand 1 promotes resistance response in non-small-cell lung cancer patients treated with neo-adjuvant chemotherapy. Cancer Sci 107(11):1563–1571. https://doi.org/10.1111/cas.13072 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar