Serum levels of soluble programmed cell death ligand 1 as a prognostic factor on the first-line treatment of metastatic or recurrent gastric cancer
- 1.1k Downloads
Immune checkpoint molecules are key targets for the treatment of various malignancies. Due to the heterogeneity of advanced gastric cancer (GC), the role of programmed cell death ligand 1 (PD-L1) expression as a tumor biomarker remains controversial. In this study, the prognostic value of soluble PD-L1 (sPD-L1) levels in serum samples was assessed in patients with metastatic GC.
All patients received first-line treatment with fluoropyrimidine and platinum chemotherapy, and trastuzumab was added for HER2-positive patients. Serum levels of sPD-L1 were measured by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay.
Among 75 metastatic GC patients, the median serum sPD-L1 level was 0.704 ng/ml (range <0.156–3.214). Serum sPD-L1 was significantly higher in patients with a high versus a low white blood cell count at baseline. When the cutoff value was set as the median, multivariate analyses showed that high sPD-L1 levels were associated with worse overall survival compared with low sPD-L1 levels (HR 2.218, 95 % CI 1.139–4.320, P = 0.019). Regardless of HER2 status, overall survival tended to be shorter in patients with high sPD-L1 compared with low sPD-L1. There was no significant association between sPD-L1 level and progression-free survival on the first-line treatment of metastatic GC.
High serum levels of sPD-L1 correlated with worse overall survival on the first-line chemotherapy in metastatic GC patients.
KeywordsGastric cancer Prognostic factor PD-L1 Serum
We gratefully appreciate the participation of the patients and their families in this study, and we would like to thank all co-investigators for their contributions: Ms. Hideko Morita and Mrs. Noriko Abe (serum sample preparation).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
All procedures performed were in accordance with the ethical standards of the national regulations and with the 1964 Declaration of Helsinki and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards.
Informed consent of Biobank of National Cancer Center and using the clinical data was obtained from all individual participants included in the study.
- Bang YJ, Van Cutsem E, Feyereislova A, Chung HC, Shen L, Sawaki A, Lordick F, Ohtsu A, Omuro Y, Satoh T (2010) Trastuzumab in combination with chemotherapy versus chemotherapy alone for treatment of HER2-positive advanced gastric or gastro-oesophageal junction cancer (ToGA): a phase 3, open-label, randomised controlled trial. Lancet 376:687–697CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Borghaei H, Paz-Ares L, Horn L, Spigel DR, Steins M, Ready NE, Chow LQ, Vokes EE, Felip E, Holgado E, Barlesi F, Kohlhäufl M, Arrieta O, Burgio MA, Fayette J, Lena H, Poddubskaya E, Gerber DE, Gettinger SN, Rudin CM, Rizvi N, Crinò L, Blumenschein GR Jr, Antonia SJ, Dorange C, Harbison CT, Graf Finckenstein F, Brahmer JR (2015) Nivolumab versus docetaxel in advanced nonsquamous non-small-cell lung cancer. N Engl J Med 373:1627–1639CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Callea M, Albiges L, Gupta M, Cheng SC, Genega EM, Fay AP, Song J, Carvo I, Bhatt RS, Atkins MB, Hodi FS, Choueiri TK, McDermott DF, Freeman GJ, Signoretti S (2015) Differential expression of PD-L1 between primary and metastatic sites in clear-cell renal cell carcinoma. Cancer Immunol Res 3:1158–1164CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Cierna Z, Mego M, Miskovska V, Machalekova K, Chovanec M, Svetlovska D, Hainova K, Rejlekova K, Macak D, Spanik S, Ondrus D, Kajo K, Mardiak J, Babal P (2016) Prognostic value of programmed-death-1 receptor (PD-1) and its ligand 1 (PD-L1) in testicular germ cell tumors. Ann Oncol 27:300–305CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Dronca RS, Markovic SN, Kottschade LA, Nevala W, Dong H (2015) Bim as a predictive T cell biomarker for response to anti-PD-1 therapy in metastatic melanoma (MM). CRI-CIMT-EATI-AACR; September 16–19, New York, NY, Abstract A007Google Scholar
- Frigola X, Inman BA, Lohse CM, Krco CJ, Cheville JC, Thompson RH, Leibovich B, Blute ML, Dong H, Kwon ED (2011) Identification of a soluble form of B7-H1 that retains immunosuppressive activity and is associated with aggressive renal cell carcinoma. Clin Cancer Res 17:1915–1923CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Fuchs CS, Tomasek J, Yong CJ, Dumitru F, Passalacqua R, Goswami C, Safran H, dos Santos LV, Aprile G, Ferry DR, Melichar B, Tehfe M, Topuzov E, Zalcberg JR, Chau I, Campbell W, Sivanandan C, Pikiel J, Koshiji M, Hsu Y, Liepa AM, Gao L, Schwartz JD, Tabernero J, Trial Investigators REGARD (2014) Ramucirumab monotherapy for previously treated advanced gastric or gastro-oesophageal junction adenocarcinoma (REGARD): an international, randomised, multicentre, placebo-controlled, phase 3 trial. Lancet 383:31–39CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kim JW, Nam KH, Ahn SH, Park do J, Kim HH, Kim SH, Chang H, Lee JO, Kim YJ, Lee HS, Kim JH, Bang SM, Lee JS, Lee KW (2016) Prognostic implications of immunosuppressive protein expression in tumors as well as immune cell infiltration within the tumor microenvironment in gastric cancer. Gastric Cancer 19:42–52CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Koizumi W, Narahara H, Hara T, Takagane A, Akiya T, Takagi M, Miyashita K, Nishizaki T, Kobayashi O, Takiyama W, Toh Y, Nagaie T, Takagi S, Yamamura Y, Yanaoka K, Orita H, Takeuchi M (2008) S-1 plus cisplatin versus S-1 alone for first-line treatment of advanced gastric cancer (SPIRITS trial): a phase III trial. Lancet Oncol 9:215–221CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Koizumi W, Nakayama N, Tanabe S, Sasaki T, Higuchi K, Nishimura K, Takagi S, Azuma M, Ae T, Ishido K, Nakatani K, Naruke A, Katada C (2012) A multicenter phase II study of combined chemotherapy with docetaxel, cisplatin, and S-1 in patients with unresectable or recurrent gastric cancer (KDOG 0601). Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 69:407–413CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Le DT, Uram JN, Wang H, Bartlett BR, Kemberling H, Eyring AD, Skora AD, Luber BS, Azad NS, Laheru D, Biedrzycki B, Donehower RC, Zaheer A, Fisher GA, Crocenzi TS, Lee JJ, Duffy SM, Goldberg RM, de la Chapelle A, Koshiji M, Bhaijee F, Huebner T, Hruban RH, Wood LD, Cuka N, Pardoll DM, Papadopoulos N, Kinzler KW, Zhou S, Cornish TC, Taube JM, Anders RA, Eshleman JR, Vogelstein B, Diaz LA Jr (2015) PD-1 Blockade in Tumors with Mismatch-Repair Deficiency. N Engl J Med 372:2509–2520CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Llosa NJ, Cruise M, Tam A, Wicks EC, Hechenbleikner EM, Taube JM, Blosser RL, Fan H, Wang H, Luber BS, Zhang M, Papadopoulos N, Kinzler KW, Vogelstein B, Sears CL, Anders RA, Pardoll DM, Housseau F (2015) The vigorous immune microenvironment of microsatellite instable colon cancer is balanced by multiple counter-inhibitory checkpoints. Cancer Discov 5:43–51CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Madore J, Vilain RE, Menzies AM, Kakavand H, Wilmott JS, Hyman J, Yearley JH, Kefford RF, Thompson JF, Long GV, Hersey P, Scolyer RA (2015) PD-L1 expression in melanoma shows marked heterogeneity within and between patients: implications for anti-PD-1/PD-L1 clinical trials. Pigment Cell Melanoma Res 28:245–253CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Motzer RJ, Escudier B, McDermott DF, George S, Hammers HJ, Srinivas S, Tykodi SS, Sosman JA, Procopio G, Plimack ER, Castellano D, Choueiri TK, Gurney H, Donskov F, Bono P, Wagstaff J, Gauler TC, Ueda T, Tomita Y, Schutz FA, Kollmannsberger C, Larkin J, Ravaud A, Simon JS, Xu LA, Waxman IM, Sharma P, CheckMate 025 Investigators (2015) Nivolumab versus everolimus in advanced renal-cell carcinoma. N Engl J Med 373:1803–1813CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Muenst S, Schaerli AR, Gao F, Däster S, Trella E, Droeser RA, Muraro MG, Zajac P, Zanetti R, Gillanders WE, Weber WP, Soysal SD (2014) Expression of programmed death ligand 1 (PD-L1) is associated with poor prognosis in human breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat 146:15–24CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Muro K, Bang YJ, Shankaran V, Geva R, Catenacci DVT, Gupta S, Eder JP, Berger R, Gonzalez EJ, Ray A, Dolled-Filhart M, Emancipator K, Pathiraja K, Lunceford JK, Cheng JD, Koshiji M, Chung HC (2014) Relationship between PD-L1 expression and clinical outcomes in patients (Pts) with advanced gastric cancer treated with the anti-PD-1 monoclonal antibody pembrolizumab (Pembro; MK-3475) in KEYNOTE-012. Ann Oncol 25:1–41CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Nomi T, Sho M, Akahori T, Hamada K, Kubo A, Kanehiro H, Nakamura S, Enomoto K, Yagita H, Azuma M, Nakajima Y (2007) Clinical significance and therapeutic potential of the programmed death-1 ligand/programmed death-1 pathway in human pancreatic cancer. Clin Cancer Res 13:2151–2157CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Ock CY, Nam AR, Lee J, Bang JH, Lee KH, Han SW, Kim TY, Im SA, Kim TY, Bang YJ, Oh DY (2016) Prognostic implication of antitumor immunity measured by the neutrophil-lymphocyte ratio and serum cytokines and angiogenic factors in gastric cancer. Gastric Cancer. Epub ahead of printGoogle Scholar
- Robert C, Long GV, Brady B, Dutriaux C, Maio M, Mortier L, Hassel JC, Rutkowski P, McNeil C, Kalinka-Warzocha E, Savage KJ, Hernberg MM, Lebbé C, Charles J, Mihalcioiu C, Chiarion-Sileni V, Mauch C, Cognetti F, Arance A, Schmidt H, Schadendorf D, Gogas H, Lundgren-Eriksson L, Horak C, Sharkey B, Waxman IM, Atkinson V, Ascierto PA (2015) Nivolumab in previously untreated melanoma without BRAF mutation. N Engl J Med 372:320–330CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Rossille D, Gressier M, Damotte D, Maucort-Boulch D, Pangault C, Semana G, Le Gouill S, Haioun C, Tarte K, Lamy T, Milpied N, Fest T, Groupe Ouest-Est des Leucémies et Autres Maladies du Sang; Groupe Ouest-Est des Leucémies et Autres Maladies du Sang (2014) High level of soluble programmed cell death ligand 1 in blood impacts overall survival in aggressive diffuse large B-Cell lymphoma: results from a French multicenter clinical trial. Leukemia 28:2367–2375CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Thompson RH, Kuntz SM, Leibovich BC, Dong H, Lohse CM, Webster WS, Sengupta S, Frank I, Parker AS, Zincke H, Blute ML, Sebo TJ, Cheville JC, Kwon ED (2006) Tumor B7-H1 is associated with poor prognosis in renal cell carcinoma patients with long-term follow-up. Cancer Res 66:3381–3385CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Wilke H, Muro K, Van Cutsem E, Oh SC, Bodoky G, Shimada Y, Hironaka S, Sugimoto N, Lipatov O, Kim TY, Cunningham D, Rougier P, Komatsu Y, Ajani J, Emig M, Carlesi R, Ferry D, Chandrawansa K, Schwartz JD, Ohtsu A, RAINBOW Study Group (2014) Ramucirumab plus paclitaxel versus placebo plus paclitaxel in patients with previously treated advanced gastric or gastro-oesophageal junction adenocarcinoma (RAINBOW): a double-blind, randomised phase 3 trial. Lancet Oncol 15:1224–1235CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Yamada Y, Higuchi K, Nishikawa K, Gotoh M, Fuse N, Sugimoto N, Nishina T, Amagai K, Chin K, Niwa Y, Tsuji A, Imamura H, Tsuda M, Yasui H, Fujii H, Yamaguchi K, Yasui H, Hironaka S, Shimada K, Miwa H, Hamada C, Hyodo I (2015) Phase III study comparing oxaliplatin plus S-1 with cisplatin plus S-1 in chemotherapy-naïve patients with advanced gastric cancer. Ann Oncol 26:141–148CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar