Prognostic value of ERCC1 in head and neck carcinoma treated with definitive or adjuvant radiotherapy
- 180 Downloads
To evaluate the prognostic significance of excision repair cross-complementation group 1 (ERCC1) expression in head and neck carcinoma patients treated with definitive radiotherapy (DR) or adjuvant radiotherapy (AR).
ERCC1 expression was assessed by immunohistochemical staining. A total of 48 patients were assessed.
High ERCC1 expression was found in 23 patients (48 %). More ERCC1-positive tumours were detected in patients treated with DR than in patients treated with AR (73 vs. 36 %, respectively, p = 0.03). ERCC1 expression had no impact on overall survival neither in the whole cohort of patients (p = 0.16) nor in each particular treatment group (AR p = 0.98; DR p = 0.21).
ERCC1 expression had no predictive value in head and neck carcinoma patients treated with DR or AR. There might be difference in ERCC1 positivity that comes out of whether the assessment is done on biopsy or surgical specimens.
KeywordsHead and neck carcinoma Radiotherapy Prognostic value ERCC1
Conflict of interest
We declare that we have no conflict of interest.
- Carles J, Monzo M, Amat M, Jansa S, Artells R, Navarro A, Foro P, Alameda F, Gayete A, Gel B, Miguel M, Albanell J, Fabregat X (2006) Single-nucleotide polymorphisms in base excision repair, nucleotide excision repair, and double strand break genes as markers for response to radiotherapy in patients with stage I to II head and neck cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 66:1022–1030PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- De Castro G, Jr Pasini FS, Siqueira SA, Ferraz AR, Villar RC, Snitcovsky IM, Federico MH (2011) ERCC1 protein, mRNA expression and T19007C polymorphism as prognostic markers in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma patients treated with surgery and adjuvant cisplatin-based chemoradiation. Oncol Rep 25:693–699PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Doll CM, Prystajecky M, Eliasziw M, Klimowicz AC, Petrillo SK, Craighead PS, Hao D, Diaz R, Lees-Miller SP, Magliocco AM (2010) Low ERCC1 and protein expression are associated with worse survival in cervical cancer patients treated with radiation alone. Radiother Oncol 97:352–359PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Fountzilas G, Kalogera-Fountzila A, Lambaki S, Wirtz RM, Nikolau A, Karayannopoullou G, Bobos M, Kotoula V, Murray S, Lambropoulos A, Aravantinos G, Markou K, Athanassiou E, Misailidou D, Kalogeras KT, Skarlos D (2009) MMP9 but not EGFR, MET, ERCC1, P16 and P-53 is associated with response to concomitant radiotherapy, Cetuximab and weekly cisplatin in patients with locally advanced head and neck cancer. J Oncol. doi: 10.1155/2009/305908
- Johung KL, Rewari A, Wu H, Contessa J, Haffty B, Decker R (2010) Role of excision repair cross complementation 1 expression as a prognostic marker for response to radiotherapy in early stage laryngeal cancer. Proceeding of the 52nd annual ASTRo meeting. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 78(Suppl):abstr. 3000Google Scholar
- Lima LM, de Souza LR, da Silva TF, Pereira CS, Guimaraes AL, de Paula AM, de Carvalho Andrade H (2012) DNA repair gene excision repair cross complementing-group 1 (ERCC1) in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma: analysis of methylation and polymorphism (G19007A), protein expression and association with epidemiological and clinicopathological factors. Histopathology 60:489–496PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mehra R, Cai KQ, Zhu F, Weaver J, Nicolaou N, Cohen RB, Lango M, Ridge JA, Godwin AK, Burtness B (2010) Analysis of ERCC1 (excision repair cross complementing group 1) in squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck (SCCHN) by quantitative immunohistochemistry (IHC) using FL297. J Clin Oncol 28 (15s, Suppl):abstr. 5539Google Scholar
- Niedernhofer LJ, Odijk H, Budzowska M, van Drunen E, Maas A, Theil AF, de Wit J, Jaspers NGJ, Berna Beverloo H, Hoeijmakers JHJ, Kanaar R (2004) The structure-specific endonuclease ERCC1-Xpf is required to resolve DNA interstrand cross-link-induced double-strand breaks. Mol Cell Biol 24:5776–5787PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Nix P, Greenman J, Cawkwell L (2004) Expression of XRCC1 and ERCC1 proteins in radioresistant and radiosensitive laryngeal cancer. Cancer Ther 2:47–53Google Scholar
- Olaussen KA, Dunant A, Fouret P, Brambilla E, Andre F, Haddad V, Taranchon E, Filipits M, Pirker R, Popper HH, Stahel R, Sabatier L, Pignon JP, Tursz T, Le Chevalier T, Soria JC (2006) DNA repair by ERCC1 in non-small cell lung cancer and cisplatin based adjuvant chemotherapy. N Engl J Med 355:983–991PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Scheil-Bertram S, Tylus-Schaaf P, du Bois A, Harter P, Oppitz M, Ewald-Riegler N, Fisseler-Eckhoff A (2010) Excision repair cross-complementation group 1 protein overexpression as a predictor of poor survival for high grade serous ovarian adenocarcinoma. Gynecol Oncol 119:325–331PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Shirota Y, Stoehlmacher J, Brabender J, Xiang YP, Uetake H, Danenberg KD, Groshens S, Tsao-Wei DD, Danenberg P, Lenz HJ (2001) ERCC1 and thymidylate synthase mRNA levels predict survival for colorectal cancer patients receiving combination oxaliplatin and fluorouracil chemotherapy. J Clin Oncol 19:4298–4304PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Taillade L, Penault-Llorca F, Boulet T, Fouret P, Michiels S, Taranchon E, Mountzios G, Validire P, Domont J, Girard P, Grunenwald D, Le Chevalier T, Soria J-C (2007) Immunohistochemical expression of biomarkers: a comparative study between diagnostic bronchial biopsies and surgical specimens of non-small-cell lung cancer. Ann Oncol 18:1043–1050PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar