Combination therapy of S-1 and CDDP for patients with colorectal cancer
- 42 Downloads
We evaluate the feasibility and efficacy of S-1 in combination with cisplatin (CDDP) for patients with colorectal cancer.
A total of 52 patients with advanced or recurrent colorectal cancer were included. S-1 was given orally twice daily for 21 days and CDDP 30 mg/m2 on day 1 and 8, followed by a 2-week period of no treatment.
Tumor responses among patients included 18 PR, 12 SD, and 16 PD (n = 46). The overall response rate was 36.4% (18/46). The response rate of the patients with prior chemotherapy was 22.2% (4/18) and 50.0% (12/24) among the patients who had no prior therapy. The median survival periods were 555 days and the median progression free survival periods were 183 days, respectively. S-1 in combination with CDDP shows promising activity with acceptable toxicities against colorectal cancer.
A combination of S-1 and CDDP could be a standard therapy for treating colorectal carcinoma.
KeywordsColorectal cancer 5-FU S-1 Cisplatin Chemotherapy
- Advanced Colorectal Cancer Meta-Analysis Project (1992) Modulation of fluorouracil by leucovorin in patients with advanced colorectal cancer: evidence in terms of response rate. J Clin Oncol 10:896–903Google Scholar
- Borner MM, Schoffski P, de Wit R, Caponigro F, Comella G, Sulkes A, Greim G, Peters GJ, van der Born K, Wanders J, de Boer RF, Martin C, Fumoleau P (2002) Patient preference and pharmacokinetics of oral modulated UFT versus intravenous fluorouracil and leucovorin: a randomised crossover trial in advanced colorectal cancer. Eur J Cancer 38:349–358PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- de Gramont A, Bosset JF, Milan C, Rougier P, Bouche O, Etienne PL, Morvan F, Louvet C, Guillot T, Francois E, Bedenne L (1997) Randomized trial comparing monthly low-dose leucovorin and fluorouracil bolus with bimonthly high-dose leucovorin and fluorouracil bolus plus continuous infusion for advanced colorectal cancer: a French intergroup study. J Clin Oncol 15:808–815PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Douillard JY, Cunningham D, Roth AD, Navarro M, James RD, Karasek P, Jandik P, Iveson T, Carmichael J, Alakl M, Gruia G, Awad L, Rougier P (2000) Irinotecan combined with fluorouracil compared with fluorouracil alone as first-line treatment for metastatic colorectal cancer: a multicentre randomised trial. Lancet 355:1041–1047PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Goldberg RM, Sargent DJ, Morton RF, Fuchs CS, Ramanathan RK, Williamson SK, Findlay BP, Pitot HC, Alberts SR (2004) A randomized controlled trial of fluorouracil plus leucovorin, irinotecan, and oxaliplatin combinations in patients with previously untreated metastatic colorectal cancer. J Clin Oncol 22:23–30PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kitamura Y, Hayashi K, Yamada T, Yamashita S, Yamada M, Uchida K, Takasaki K (2004) A split protocol of cisplatinum (CDDP) infusion in outpatients: examination of pharmacokinetics. J Appl Res 4:215–221Google Scholar
- Kornek GV, Schratter-Sehn A, Marczell A, Depisch D, Karner J, Krauss G, Haider K, Kwasny W, Locker G, Scheithauer W (2000) Treatment of unresectable, locally advanced pancreatic adenocarcinoma with combined radiochemotherapy with 5-fluorouracil, leucovorin and cisplatin. Br J Cancer 82:98–103PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Maindrault-Goebel F, Louvet C, Andre T, Carola E, Lotz JP, Molitor JL, Garcia ML, Gilles-Amar V, Izrael V, Krulik M, de Gramont A (1999) Oxaliplatin added to the simplified bimonthly leucovorin and 5-fluorouracil regimen as second-line therapy for metastatic colorectal cancer (FOLFOX6). GERCOR. Eur J Cancer 35:1338–1342PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rothenberg ML, Oza AM, Bigelow RH, Berlin JD, Marshall JL, Ramanathan RK, Hart LL, Gupta S, Garay CA, Burger BG, Le Bail N, Haller DG (2003) Superiority of oxaliplatin and fluorouracil-leucovorin compared with either therapy alone in patients with progressive colorectal cancer after irinotecan and fluorouracil-leucovorin: interim results of a phase III trial. J Clin Oncol 21:2059–2069PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Shirasaka T, Nakano K, Takechi T, Satake H, Uchida J, Fujioka A, Saito H, Okabe H, Oyama K, Takeda S, Unemi N, Fukushima M (1996) Antitumor activity of 1 M tegafur-0.4 M 5-chloro-2,4-dihydroxypyridine-1 M potassium oxonate (S-1) against human colon carcinoma orthotopically implanted into nude rats. Cancer Res 56:2602–2606PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Statistics and Information Department, Ministry of Health and Welfare. (1994) Vital statistics of Japan 1992. Kosei Tokei Kyokai, TokyoGoogle Scholar
- Taguchi T, Inuyama Y, Kanamaru R, Hasegawa K, Akazawa S, Niitani H, Furue H, Kurihara M, Ota K, Suga S, Ariyoshi Y, Takai S, Shimoyama T, Toge T, Takashima S, Sugimachi K, Hara Y, Fujita H, Kimura K, Saito T, Tsukagoshi S, Nakao I (1997) (Phase I study of S-1. S-1 study group). Gan To Kagaku Ryoho 24:2253–2264PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Tournigand C, Andre T, Achille E, Lledo G, Flesh M, Mery-Mignard D, Quinaux E, Couteau C, Buyse M, Ganem G, Landi B, Colin P, Louvet C, de Gramont A (2004) FOLFIRI followed by FOLFOX6 or the reverse sequence in advanced colorectal cancer: a randomized GERCOR study. J Clin Oncol 22:229–237PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar