Effects of yoga exercise on salivary beta-defensin 2
Yoga stretching can be done comfortably and easily by beginners and older adults to compensate for lack of exercise or poor health maintenance. The aim of this study was to determine the effect of yoga stretching on mucosal immune functions, primarily human β-defensin 2 (HBD-2) in saliva.
Fifteen healthy adults (age, 60.4 ± 8.0 years) participated in the study. Participants rested for 90 min on the first day and performed yoga for 90 min on the second day. Measurements were carried out before and after rest or yoga. Saliva samples were collected by chewing a sterile cotton at a frequency of 60 cycles per min. Salivary HBD-2 concentration was measured using an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay.
HBD-2 concentration after yoga stretching (165.4 ± 127.1 pg/mL) was significantly higher than that before yoga stretching (84.1 ± 63.4 pg/mL; p < 0.01). HBD-2 expression rate after yoga stretching (232.8 ± 192.9 pg/min) was significantly higher than that before yoga stretching (110.7 ± 96.8 pg/min; p < 0.01). HBD-2 concentration (p < 0.05) and HBD-2 expression rate (p < 0.01) at post on the second day (yoga) was significantly higher than that on the first day (rest). POMS score of anger-hostility was lower after yoga than before.
Yoga stretching for 90 min can increase salivary HBD-2 expression in older adults. Therefore, yoga stretching might be useful for older adults and athletes to maintain their health.
KeywordsStretching Relaxation Mucosal immunity Antimicrobial peptide
- Alter MJ (2004) Science of flexibility, 3rd edn. Human Kinetics, ChampaignGoogle Scholar
- Iyengar BKS (2001) Light on yoga: the definitive guide to yoga practice. Thorsons, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Kuboki Y, Fujisawa R (1986) Sampling and handling of saliva. J Med Technol 30:937–942Google Scholar
- Sakaki K (2006) Variation in the ratio of leukocytes in women caused by yoga breathing: The interrelationship among individual differences in the autonomic nervous system, endocrine secretion and immune mechanism activities by yoga breathing. Jpn Soc Phys Fit Sport Med 55:477–488CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- The Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare (2006) Exercise and physical activity guide for health promotion 2006. The Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, TokyoGoogle Scholar