The influence of wind turbine visibility on the health of local residents: a systematic review
The health effects of visible wind turbine features on residents were investigated. Further, it was examined, if visual annoyance has an influence on residents’ health, and if wind turbine visibility impacts residents’ health independently of or in combination with acoustical aspects.
Medical databases, Google Scholar, public health institutions, and reference lists were searched systematically (PROSPERO registry number: CRD42016041737). Two independent reviewers screened titles/abstract and full texts, extracted data, and critically appraised the methodology of included studies. Study findings were analyzed qualitatively and quantitatively.
Seventeen studies from 19 publications of varying methodological quality were included (two cohort studies, fifteen cross-sectional studies). The pooled prevalence of high annoyance due to altered views and shadow flicker was 6% each. The results of other health effects were inconsistent, with some indications showing that direct wind turbine visibility increases sleep disturbance. Annoyance by direct visibility, shadow flicker, and blinking lights was significantly associated with an increased risk for sleep disorders. One study indicated reactions to visual wind turbine features may be influenced by acoustical exposures.
In interpreting the results, the differing methodological quality of the included studies needs to be considered. Direct and indirect wind turbine visibility may affect residents’ health, and reactions may differ in combination with noise. Further, annoyance by wind turbine visibility may interact as mediator between visual exposures and the health of local residents. To confirm the results, more high-quality research is needed.
KeywordsWind turbine Visibility Health effect Resident Systematic review
The study was not funded.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Basner M, McGuire S (2018) WHO environmental noise guidelines for the European region: a systematic review on environmental noise and effects on sleep. Int J Environ Res Public Health 15(3) https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph15030519
- BIS (2018) Onshore wind: shadow flicker. department of business, innovation, skills. http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://www.berr.gov.uk/energy/sources/renewables/planning/onshore-wind/shadow-flicker/page18736.html. Accessed 27 April 2018
- CASP (2017) Cohort study checklist. critical appraisal skills programm. http://www.casp-uk.net/casp-tools-checklists. Accessed 06 May 2018)
- Chapman S, St George A, Waller K, Cakic V (2013) The pattern of complaints about Australian wind farms does not match the establishment and distribution of turbines: support for the psychogenic, ‘communicated disease’ hypothesis. PLoS One 8(10):e76584. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0076584 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Downes MJ, Brennan ML, Williams HC, Dean RS (2016) Development of a critical appraisal tool to assess the quality of cross-sectional studies (AXIS). BMJ Open 6(12) https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2016-011458
- EpiGear I (2016) MetaXL 5.3. http://www.epigear.com. Accessed 06 May 2018
- GWEC (2018) Global wind statistics 2017. Global wind energy council. http://gwec.net/wp-content/uploads/vip/GWEC_PRstats2017_EN-003_FINAL.pdf. Accessed 27 April 2018
- Hübner G, Pohl J (2010) Acceptance and environmental compatability of wind turbine obstruction markings [German] (akzeptanz und umweltverträglichkeit der hinderniskennzeichnung von windenergieanlagen). http://sozpsy-forschung.psych.uni-halle.de/HKworkshop/projektbericht/HK_Abschlussbericht_MLU_04_05_10.pdf. Accessed 26 Feb 2018
- Hübner G, Pohl J (2014) Acceptance of offshore-wind energy use. Final report [German] (akzeptanz der offshore-windenergienutzung. abschlussbericht). http://www.akzeptanz-offshore-windenergie.de/downloads/107/Projektbericht_offshore.pdf. Accessed 27 April 2018
- IEA (2017) Market report series: renewables 2017. Analysis and forecasts to 2022. International energy agency. https://www.iea.org/topics/renewables/. Accessed 27 April 2018
- IRENA (2017) Renewable capacity statistics 2017. The international renewable energy agency. https://www.irena.org/DocumentDownloads/Publications/IRENA_RE_Capacity_Statistics_2017.pdf. Accessed 7 Dec 2017
- ISO/TS 15666 (2003) Acoustics—assessment of noise annoyance by means of social and socio-acoustic surveys. International organization for standardization. https://www.iso.org/standard/28630.html. Accessed 27 April 2018
- Kageyama T, Yano T, Kuwano S, Sueoka S, Tachibana H (2016) Exposure-response relationship of wind turbine noise with self-reported symptoms of sleep and health problems: a nationwide socioacoustic survey in Japan. Noise health 18(81):53–61. https://doi.org/10.4103/1463-1741.178478 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kunz R, Khan KS, Kleijnen J, Antes G (2009) Systematic reviews and meta-analyses. Introduction to instruments of evidence-based medicine for physicians, clinical researchers and experts. In: The health care system [German] (Systematische Übersichtsarbeiten und Metaanalysen. Einfühung in Instrumente der evidenzbasierten Medizin für Ärzte, klinische Forscher und Experten im Gesundheitswesen), 2. edn. Hans Huber, BernGoogle Scholar
- LANUV (2002) Factual information. Optical immission of wind turbines [German] (Sachinformation. Optische immissionen von windenergieanlagen). Landesamt für Natur, Umwelt und Verbraucherschutz Nordrhein-Westfalen. https://www.lanuv.nrw.de/fileadmin/lanuv/licht/weabeitrag.pdf Accessed 27 April 2018
- Lauterbach KW (2010) Health economics, management, and evidence-based medicine: handbook for practice, politics, and studies [German] (gesundheitsökonomie, management und evicence-based medicine: handbuch für praxis, politik und studium). edn. Schattauer, Stuttgart, p 3Google Scholar
- Mausfeld R, Pohl J, Faul F (2000) Annoyance due to periodic shadow flicker of wind turbines [German] (belästigung durch periodischen schattenwurf von windenergieanlagen). http://space.hgo.se/wpcvi/wp-content/uploads/import/pdf/Kunskapsdatabas%20miljo/Ljud%20och%20Skuggor/Skuggor/Utredningar/Laborstudie%20Schattenwurf.pdf. Accessed 26 Feb 2018
- Merlin T, Newton S, Ellery B, Milverton J, Farah C (2013) Systematic review of the human health effects of wind farms. National health and medical research council. https://www.nhmrc.gov.au/_files_nhmrc/publications/attachments/eh54_systematic_review_of_the_human_health_effects_of_wind_farms_december_2013.pdf. Accessed 26 Feb 2018
- Morris M (2012) Waterloo wind farm survey April 2012. http://waubrafoundation.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Waterloo-Wind-Farm-Survey-April-2012-Select-Committee1.pdf. Accessed 26 Feb 2018
- Pierpont N (2009) Wind turbine syndrome. A report on a natural experiment. K-Selected Books, Santa FeGoogle Scholar
- Schafer A (2013) MacArthur Wind Energy Facility Preliminary Survey. http://waubrafoundation.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Macarthur-Wind-Energy-Facility-Preliminary-Survey.pdf Accessed: 26 Feb 2018
- Schefter C, Freiberg A, Hegewald J, Seidler A (2016) The influence of wind turbine visibility on the health of residents living in their proximity: a systematic review. PROSPERO, CRD42016041737. http://www.crd.york.ac.uk/PROSPERO/display_record.php?ID=CRD42016041737 Accessed 08 May 2018
- Schneider P (2012) Cullerin range wind farm survey. http://docs.wind-watch.org/Cullerin-Range-Wind-Farm-Survey-August-2012.pdf. Accessed 26 Feb 2018
- SIGN (2012) SIGN Methodology Checklist. Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network. http://www.sign.ac.uk/checklists-and-notes.html. Accessed 06 May 2018
- Twardella D (2013) Consequences of wind energy for health [German] (bedeutung des ausbaus der windenergie für die menschliche gesundheit). UMID 3:5–8Google Scholar
- UBA (2014) Wind energy [German] (Windenergie). German environment agency (umweltbundesamt). https://www.umweltbundesamt.de/themen/klima-energie/erneuerbare-energien/windenergie. Accessed 27 April 2018
- UN (n.d.) Climate change. United Nations. http://www.un.org/en/sections/issues-depth/climate-change/. Accessed 27 April 2018
- UNFCCC (2015) Paris agreement. United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, ParisGoogle Scholar
- van den Berg F, Pedersen E, Bouma J, Bakker R (2008a) Project WINDFARMperception. Visual and acoustic impact of wind turbine farms on residents. Final report. https://www.rug.nl/research/portal/files/14620621/WFp-final.pdf. Accessed 26 Feb 2018
- van den Berg F, Pedersen E, Bouma J, Bakker R (2008b) Project WINDFARM perception. Visual and acoustic impact of wind turbine farms on residents. Summary. https://www.rug.nl/research/portal/files/14620620/WFp-final-summary.pdf Accessed 06 May 2018
- WHO (2011) Burden of disease from environmental noise. Quantification of healthy life years lost in Europe. World health organization. http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/136466/e94888.pdf Accessed 26 Feb 2018