Exposure to heavy metals due to pesticide use by vineyard farmers
- 500 Downloads
To statistically analyze serum heavy metal levels in biological samples obtained from vineyard workers from southern Brazil and check for heavy metal exposure due to pesticide use.
Serum samples were obtained from 54 farmers and 108 healthy unexposed individuals. Samples from the same farmers were obtained at three different time points over a 1-year period. Levels of lead, arsenic, nickel, zinc, manganese and copper were determined for each sample using dynamic reaction cell inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (DRC-ICP-MS). All results were statistically analyzed using the nonparametric Kruskal–Wallis test (followed by Dunn’s post hoc test).
Results showed that serum heavy metal levels in farmers were twofold to fourfold higher than in controls. This difference was found for all heavy metals tested and was significant (p < 0.05). Serum metal levels among the farmers also correlated with the frequency of use of pesticides at a specific time of year, which varied according to seasonal conditions influencing the need for pesticide application.
It can be concluded that in the vineyard region assessed, farmers were more susceptible to heavy metal exposure due to pesticide use.
KeywordsViticulture Pesticides Heavy metals Occupational exposure
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Barbosa Jr F, Tanus-Santos JE, Gerlach RF, Parsons PJ (2005) A critical review of biomarkers used for monitoring human exposure to lead: advantages, limitations, and future needs. Environ Health Perspect 1669–1674Google Scholar
- Batista BL, Rodrigues JL, Nunes JA, de Oliveira Souza VC, Barbosa F Jr (2009) Exploiting dynamic reaction cell inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (DRC-ICP-MS) for sequential determination of trace elements in blood using a dilute-and-shoot procedure. Anal Chim Acta 639:13–18. doi: 10.1016/j.aca.2009.03.016 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kuhn IA (2011) Análise Multi-elementar e Transferência de Metais e Isótopos de Chumbo no Sistema Planta–Solo-Água Subterrânea em Área Contaminada por Calda Bordalesa na Região Vinífera de Palomas, Município de Santana do Livramento, RS. UFRGS, Porto AlegreGoogle Scholar
- Mello LMR (2013) Viticultura Brasileira: panorama 2012. EMBRAPAGoogle Scholar
- Nischwitz V, Berthele A, Michalke B (2008) Speciation analysis of selected metals and determination of their total contents in paired serum and cerebrospinal fluid samples: an approach to investigate the permeability of the human blood-cerebrospinal fluid-barrier. Anal Chim Acta 627:258–269CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Nunes JA, Batista BL, Rodrigues JL, Caldas NM, Neto JA, Barbosa F Jr (2010) A simple method based on ICP-MS for estimation of background levels of arsenic, cadmium, copper, manganese, nickel, lead, and selenium in blood of the Brazilian population. J Toxicol Environ Health Part A 73:878–887CrossRefGoogle Scholar