Expression of serine peptidase inhibitor Kunitz type 1 in differentiated thyroid cancer
SPINT1, also known as HAI-1, is a Kunitz-type serine protease inhibitor that inhibits multiple proteases including hepatocyte growth factor (HGF) activator and matriptase. SPINT1 has been shown to modulate HGF/MET activation in certain cancer types. In the present study, we analyzed microarray datasets and found that SPINT1 was consistently upregulated in differentiated thyroid cancer. SPINT1 protein expression was investigated using tissue microarrays and independent samples of our 143 patients. Strong SPINT1 expression was observed in 61–68% of papillary thyroid cancer and 41–50% of follicular thyroid cancer. The overexpression diminished in anaplastic thyroid cancer. The SPINT1 expression in normal thyroid tissues and benign thyroid lesions was low. Furthermore, we noted that the SPINT1 expression was associated with extrathyroidal invasion, lymphovascular invasion, lymph node metastasis, advanced TNM stage, and a higher risk of recurrence in differentiated thyroid cancer. The results were in accordance with our analysis of The Cancer Genome Atlas data. In conclusion, an overexpression of SPINT1 appears to be associated with an invasive phenotype in differentiated thyroid cancer.
KeywordsSerine protease inhibitor Hepatocyte growth factor Thyroid cancer Invasion
This work was supported by research grants from the Ministry of Science and Technology of Taiwan (MOST-104-2314-B-195-004-MY3) and MacKay Memorial Hospital (MMH-10712 and MMH-E-107-10).
Compliance with ethical standards
Institutional review board approval was obtained for the study, and the need for informed consent was waived.
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Giordano TJ, Au AY, Kuick R, Thomas DG, Rhodes DR, Wilhelm KG Jr, Vinco M, Misek DE, Sanders D, Zhu Z, Ciampi R, Hanash S, Chinnaiyan A, Clifton-Bligh RJ, Robinson BG, Nikiforov YE, Koenig RJ (2006) Delineation, functional validation, and bioinformatic evaluation of gene expression in thyroid follicular carcinomas with the PAX8–PPARG translocation. Clin Cancer Res 12:1983–1993CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Haugen BR, Alexander EK, Bible KC, Doherty GM, Mandel SJ, Nikiforov YE, Pacini F, Randolph GW, Sawka AM, Schlumberger M, Schuff KG, Sherman SI, Sosa JA, Steward DL, Tuttle RM, Wartofsky L (2016) 2015 American Thyroid Association Management Guidelines for Adult Patients with Thyroid Nodules and Differentiated Thyroid Cancer: The American Thyroid Association Guidelines Task Force on Thyroid Nodules and Differentiated Thyroid Cancer. Thyroid 26:1–133CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Hay ID, Bergstralh EJ, Goellner JR, Ebersold JR, Grant CS (1993) Predicting outcome in papillary thyroid carcinoma: development of a reliable prognostic scoring system in a cohort of 1779 patients surgically treated at one institution during 1940 through 1989. Surgery 114:1050–1057PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Ito Y, Akinaga A, Yamanaka K, Nakagawa T, Kondo A, Dickson RB, Lin CY, Miyauchi A, Taniguchi N, Miyoshi E (2006) Co-expression of matriptase and N-acetylglucosaminyltransferase V in thyroid cancer tissues—its possible role in prolonged stability in vivo by aberrant glycosylation. Glycobiology 16:368–374CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Kang JY, Dolled-Filhart M, Ocal IT, Singh B, Lin CY, Dickson RB, Rimm DL, Camp RL (2003) Tissue microarray analysis of hepatocyte growth factor/Met pathway components reveals a role for Met, matriptase, and hepatocyte growth factor activator inhibitor 1 in the progression of node-negative breast cancer. Cancer Res 63:1101–1105PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Nagata K, Hirono S, Ido A, Kataoka H, Moriuchi A, Shimomura T, Hori T, Hayashi K, Koono M, Kitamura N, Tsubouchi H (2001) Expression of hepatocyte growth factor activator and hepatocyte growth factor activator inhibitor type 1 in human hepatocellular carcinoma. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 289:205–211CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Oberst MD, Johnson MD, Dickson RB, Lin CY, Singh B, Stewart M, Williams A, al-Nafussi A, Smyth JF, Gabra H, Sellar GC (2002) Expression of the serine protease matriptase and its inhibitor HAI-1 in epithelial ovarian cancer: correlation with clinical outcome and tumor clinicopathological parameters. Clin Cancer Res 8:1101–1107PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Saleem M, Adhami VM, Zhong W, Longley BJ, Lin CY, Dickson RB, Reagan-Shaw S, Jarrard DF, Mukhtar H (2006) A novel biomarker for staging human prostate adenocarcinoma: overexpression of matriptase with concomitant loss of its inhibitor, hepatocyte growth factor activator inhibitor-1. Cancer Epidemiol Biomark Prev 15:217–227CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ulisse S, Baldini E, Sorrenti S, Barollo S, Gnessi L, Catania A, Pellizzo MR, Nardi F, Mian C, De Antoni E, D’Armiento M, Frati L (2011) High expression of the urokinase plasminogen activator and its cognate receptor associates with advanced stages and reduced disease-free interval in papillary thyroid carcinoma. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96:504–508CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Zurawa-Janicka D, Kobiela J, Galczynska N, Stefaniak T, Lipinska B, Lachinski A, Skorko-Glonek J, Narkiewicz J, Proczko-Markuszewska M, Sledzinski Z (2012) Changes in expression of human serine protease HtrA1, HtrA2 and HtrA3 genes in benign and malignant thyroid tumors. Oncol Rep 28:1838–1844CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar