Features of choroidal naevi on swept source optical coherence tomography angiography and structural reverse flow optical coherence tomography
- 203 Downloads
The purpose of our study was to describe features of choroidal naevi as seen on swept source optical coherence tomography angiography (OCTA) and also on en face images derived from structural data from OCTA.
A prospective observational cohort study was carried out. Patients attending a specialised choroidal naevomelanocytic with known naevi were imaged with swept source OCTA.
Seventy-one eyes of 70 patients were imaged. Forty-three patients and 44 eyes were included. Mean age was 57.7 years (SD 14.9), range 29–81 years. Male to female ratio was 20:23. On OCTA after manual segmentation, naevi could be seen in 47.6% of cases, whereas in the en face images, naevi could be clearly visualised in 79.5% of cases. In OCTA, the superficial and deep capillary plexuses appeared undisturbed as did the outer retinal layer appeared in all cases of flat naevi. In choroidal naevi with mild elevation, the outer retinal layer appeared more susceptible to projection artefacts from overlying retinal vasculature. The choriocapillaris layer showed a fading of the normal homogenous vascular mosaic corresponding to the area of the naevus. In the en face images, even the faintest and thinnest naevi could be visualised in striking detail, and naevi greater than 120 μm thickness appeared darker (p = 0.0034).
OCTA presents characteristic changes in the choriocapillaris layers in cases of choroidal naevi. The association of naevus substance appearing darker with increasing thickness may offer a novel prognostic clue. En face structural OCT may allow accurate, detailed measurement of lateral dimensions which could be of value in the monitoring of suspicious naevi.
KeywordsChoroidal naevus Optical coherence tomography angiography Imaging Reverse flow Oncology
Compliance with ethical standards
All procedures performed in studies involving human participants were in accordance with the ethical standards of the institutional and/or national research committee and with the 1964 Helsinki declaration and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards.
Informed consent was obtained from all individual participants included in the study.
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 1.Moult E, Choi W, Waheed NK, Adhi M, Lee B, Lu CD, Jayaraman V, Potsaid B, Rosenfeld PJ, Duker JS, Fujimoto JG (2014) Ultrahigh-speed swept-source OCT angiography in exudative AMD. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging Retina 45(6):496–505. https://doi.org/10.3928/23258160-20141118-03 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 2.Moult EM, Waheed NK, Novais EA, Choi W, Lee B, Ploner SB, Cole ED, Louzada RN, Lu CD, Rosenfeld PJ, Duker JS, Fujimoto JG (2016) Swept-source optical coherence tomography angiography reveals choriocapillaris alterations in eyes with nascent geographic atrophy and drusen-associated geographic atrophy. Retina 36:S2–S11. https://doi.org/10.1097/iae.0000000000001287 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 3.Yu S, Lu J, Cao D, Liu R, Liu B, Li T, Luo Y, Lu L (2016) The role of optical coherence tomography angiography in fundus vascular abnormalities. BMC Ophthalmol 16. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12886-016-0277-2
- 6.Gong J, Yu S, Gong Y, Wang F, Sun X (2016) The diagnostic accuracy of optical coherence tomography angiography for neovascular age-related macular degeneration: a comparison with fundus fluorescein angiography. J Ophthalmol 2016:7521478. https://doi.org/10.1155/2016/7521478 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 8.Cennamo G, Romano MR, Breve MA, Velotti N, Reibaldi M, de Crecchio G, Cennamo G (2017) Evaluation of choroidal tumors with optical coherence tomography: enhanced depth imaging and OCT-angiography features. Eye (Lond). https://doi.org/10.1038/eye.2017.14
- 9.Glittenberg C(2017) Extracting and segmenting 3D choroidal vasculography information from swept source OCT A data In: Association for research and vision in Ophthalmology, Imaging in the eye Conference, Baltimore, 2017Google Scholar
- 14.Say EA, Ferenczy S, Magrath GN, Samara WA, Khoo CT, Shields CL (2016) Image quality and artifacts on optical coherence tomography angiography: comparison of pathologic and paired fellow eyes in 65 patients with unilateral choroidal melanoma treated with plaque radiotherapy. Retina. https://doi.org/10.1097/iae.0000000000001414