Neurological diseases and risk of suicide attempt: a case–control study
- 322 Downloads
Neurological diseases have a profound impact on quality of life. We investigated the risk of suicide attempt in ten neurological diseases.
Case–control study. Cases were identified from the Danish Poison Information Centre database in the period 2006–2013. The prevalence of ten neurological diagnoses was compared with the prevalence in a randomly sampled age- and gender-matched control group.
We identified 8974 cases of suicidal attempt and 89,740 controls. We found an association between suicide attempt in nine of ten neurological diseases and disease groups, including stroke [odds ratio (OR) 3.1, 95% confidence interval (CI) (2.8–3.6)], Huntington’s disease [OR 8.8, 95% CI (3.2–24.1)], amyotrophic lateral sclerosis [OR 5.0, 95% CI (1.7–14.6)], Parkinson’s disease [OR 2.9, 95% CI (1.8–4.6)], Alzheimer’s disease and other degenerative diseases [OR 4.8, 95% CI (3.1–7.5)], multiple sclerosis [OR 1.5, 95% CI (1.1–2.1)], epilepsy [OR 4.5, 95% CI (4.1–5.0)], hereditary and idiopathic neuropathy [OR 2.2, 95% CI (1.1–4.3)] and myasthenia gravis [OR 4.3, 95% CI (2.0–9.4)].
Nine out of ten chronic neurological diseases were associated with an increased risk of suicide attempt. These data must be considered for clinicians treating this vulnerable group of patients.
KeywordsSuicide attempt Self-poisoning Neurological diseases Neuropsychiatry
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflicts of interest
The authors have nothing to disclose.
This study was approved by the Danish Data Protection Agency (BBH-2013-039 / 02514).
- 1.Rickards H (2006) Depression in neurological disorders: an update. Curr Opin Psychiatry 19:294–298. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.yco.0000218601.17722.5b CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Center for selvmordsforskning (2014) Statistikbank. http://statistik.selvmordsforskning.dk/. Accessed 1 Dec 2017
- 15.Breslow NE, Day NE (1980) Statistical methods in cancer research. Volume I—the analysis of case-control studies. Chapter 7. Conditional logistic regression for matched sets. In: IARC Scientific Publications. pp 247–279Google Scholar
- 16.Joshi P, Song H-B, Lee S-A (2017) Association of chronic disease prevalence and quality of life with suicide-related ideation and suicide attempt among Korean adults. Indian J Psychiatry 59:352–358. https://doi.org/10.4103/psychiatry.IndianJPsychiatry_282_16 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 19.Altura KC, Patten SB, Fiest KM et al (2016) Suicidal ideation in persons with neurological conditions: prevalence, associations and validation of the PHQ-9 for suicidal ideation. Gen Hosp Psychiatr. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.genhosppsych.2016.06.006 CrossRefGoogle Scholar