Root extraction by Al-Kashi and Stevin
- 295 Downloads
In this paper, we study the extraction of roots as presented by Al-Kashi in his 1427 book “Key to Arithmetic” and Stevin in his 1585 book “Arithmetic”. In analyzing their methods, we note that Stevin’s technique contains some flaws that we amend to present a coherent algorithm. We then show that the underlying algorithm for the methods of both Al-Kashi and Stevin is the same.
KeywordsFractional Part Large Integer Root Extraction Integer Part Modern Mathematic
- Al-Kashi, G.J.M. 1969. Miftah al-Hisab (edition, and commentary by Amad Sa’id al-Dimirdash and Muammad Hamdi al-Hifni al-Shaykh). Cairo: Dar al-Katib al-Arabi.Google Scholar
- Al-Kashi, G.J.M. 1977. Miftah al-Hisab. (edition, commentary and notes by Nabulsi Nader). Damascus: University of Damascus Press.Google Scholar
- Dakhel, A. 1960. In The extraction of the n-th root in the sexagesimal notation. A study of chapter 5, treatise 3 of Miftah al-hisab, ed. W.A. Hijab, and E.S. Kennedy. Beirut: American University of Beirut.Google Scholar
- Luckey, P. 1951. Die Rechnenkunst bei Gamsid b. Masud Al-Kasi. Wiesbaden.Google Scholar
- O’Conner J. J., and E. F. Robertson. 1999. The MacTutor history of mathematics archive. http://www-history.mcs.st-andrews.ac.uk/index.html
- Rashed, R. 1994. The development of Arabic mathematics between arithmetic and algebra (trans: Armstrong, A.F.W.). Dordrecht: Kluwer.Google Scholar
- Saidan, A. 1978. The arithmetic of al-Uqlidisi: The story of Hindu–Arabic arithmetic as told in Kitab al-Fusul fi al-Hisab al-Hindi (trans and annotated: Saidan, A.S.). Dordrecht: Reidel Publishing.Google Scholar
- Stevin, S. L’arithmétique, corrected and augmented by Albert Girard, De l’imprimerie des Elzeviers, 1625. http://www.arcliive.org/details/laritlimetiqvedesOOstev.