Isn’t the efficacy of antidepressants clinically relevant? A critical comment on the results of the metaanalysis by Kirsch et al. 2008
The metaanalysis of Kirsch (PLoS Med 5:e45, 2008) has (unfortunately!) attracted too much attention in the specialized press and especially in the lay press. Therefore, intensive critical commenting is necessary to not further alarm experts and health authorities as well as patients and family members. The specified commenting on these metaanalyses shall be prefaced with a short and critical commentary regarding the general significance of metaanalyses. The results of metaanalyses should not too naively be interpreted as the ‘truth’ as regards to the evidence based psychopharmacotherapy, but should be qualified in their significance due to principal methodological reasons Maier (Nervenarzt 78:1028–1036, 2007; Möller (Nervenarzt 78:1014–1027, 2007). Especially from these derived effect sizes should be interpreted carefully.
Keywordsantidepressants effectiveness meta-analyses
- 8.Kirsch I, Moore TJ, Scoboria A, Nicholls S (2002) The emperor's new drugs: an analyses of antidepressant medication data submitted to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Prevention & Treatment 5 (Artikle 23)Google Scholar
- 12.Möller HJ (2008b) Methodik empirischer Forschung. In: Möller HJ, Laux G, Kapfhammer H-P (eds) Psychiatrie und psychotherapie. Springer, Heidelberg, pp 346–367Google Scholar
- 15.Montgomery SA, Möller HJ (2008) The clinical relevance of the significant advantage of escitaloprom compared to other antidepressants. (in preperation)Google Scholar
- 16.National Institute for Clinical Excellence (2004) Depression: management of depression in primary and secondary care. Clinical practice guideline no 23. National Institute for Clinical Excellence, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 19.Storosum JG, Elferink AJ, van Zwieten BJ, van den BW, Gersons BP, van Strik R, Broekmans AW (2001) Short-term efficacy of tricyclic antidepressants revisited: a meta-analytic study. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 11:173–180Google Scholar