A comprehensive 6-year retrospective study on medialisation thyroplasty in the Indian population
- 108 Downloads
The purpose of this paper is to describe a series of patients who have undergone medialisation thyroplasty (with or without arytenoid adduction) at our centre with respect to demographics, aetiology for unilateral vocal fold paralysis, pre- and postoperative maximum phonation time, amount of anterior and posterior medialisation required and complications. A comparative analysis with international studies was also performed. A retrospective analysis was performed on 67 patients, who underwent medialisation thyroplasty at our centre from August 2008 to August 2014. All the medialisation thyroplasty were performed using Netterville’s technique. The average anterior medialisation needed was 2.25 mm (SD 1.05 mm) while the average posterior medialisation needed was 6.75 mm (SD 1.79 mm). Our study is the first to determine the amount of anterior and posterior medialisation needed in the Indian population. Mean anterior and posterior medialisation required was found to be the same, regardless of the age, gender of the patient and side of surgery.
KeywordsMedialisation thyroplasty Amount of medialisation Indian population
Compliance with ethical standards
For this type of study (retrospective), formal consent is not required.
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 2.Payr E (1915) Plastik am Schildknorpel zur Behebung der Folgen einseitiger Stimmbandla¨hmung. Dtsch Med Wochenschr 41:1264–1270Google Scholar
- 9.Alghonaim Y, Roskies M, Kost K, Young J (2013) Evaluating the timing of injection laryngoplasty for vocal fold paralysis in an attempt to avoid future type 1 thyroplasty. J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 42:24. http://www.journalotohns.com/content/42/1/24. Accessed 10 Feb 2015
- 10.Suehro A, Hirano S, Kishimoto Y, Tanaka S, Ford CN (2009) Comparative study of vocal outcomes with silicone versus Gore-Tex thyroplasty. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 118(6):405–408Google Scholar
- 13.Blitzer A, Zeitels SM, Netterville JL, Meyer TK, Smith ME (2011) Vocal fold medialization, arytenoids adduction, and reinnervation. In: Neurol Disord Larynx Thieme, vol 15, 2nd edn:127–147Google Scholar
- 22.Koufmann JA, Issacson G (1991) Laryngoplastic phonosurgery. Otolaryngol Clin N Am 24:1151–1177Google Scholar