Effect comparison of metformin with insulin treatment for gestational diabetes: a meta-analysis based on RCTs
- 1.5k Downloads
To compare the effects of metformin with insulin on maternal and neonatal outcomes in gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM).
A literature search in PUBMED, EMBASE, Science Direct, Springer link, and Cochrane library was conducted using the following search terms: “Gestational Diabetes” or “GDM”, and “insulin” and “metformin”. Quality assessment of included studies was determined with Quality Assessment of Diagnostic Accuracy Studies. Review Manger 5.2 was used to analyze mean difference (MD)/risk ratio (RR) and 95 % confidence interval (CI) in random-effects model or fixed-effects model depending on the level of heterogeneity.
A total of 11 studies were identified. There was no significant difference of the effect on maternal outcomes between the two treatments in glycohemoglobin A1c levels (P = 0.37), fasting blood glucose (P = 0.66), and the incidence of preeclampsia (P = 0.26); whereas, significantly reduced results were found in the metformin group in pregnancy-induced hypertension (PIH) rate (RR = 0.53, 95 % CI 0.31–0.90, P = 0.02), average weight gains after enrollment (MD = −1.28, 95 % CI −1.54 to −1.01, P < 0.0001), and average gestational ages at delivery (MD = 0.94, 95 % CI −0.21 to −0.01, P = 0.03). Regarding neonatal outcomes, when compared with insulin group, metformin presented significantly lower average birth weights (MD = −44.35, 95 % CI −85.79 to −2.90, P = 0.04), incidence of hypoglycemia (RR = 0.69, 95 % CI 0.55–0.87, P = 0.001) and neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) (RR = 0.82, 95 % CI 0.67–0.99, P = 0.04).
Metformin can significantly reduce several adverse maternal and neonatal outcomes including PIH rate, incidence of hypoglycemia and NICU, thus it may be an effective and safe alternative or additional treatment to insulin for GDM women.
KeywordsGestational diabetes Metformin Insulin Meta-analysis
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest to disclose.
- 4.Jenum A K, Mørkrid K, Sletner L, Vange S, Torper J L, Nakstad B, Voldner N et al (2012) Impact of ethnicity on gestational diabetes identified with the WHO and the modified international association of diabetes and pregnancy study groups criteria: a population-based cohort study[J]. Eur J Endocrinol 166(2):317–324CrossRefPubMedCentralPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 5.Catalano PM, McIntyre HD, Cruickshank JK, McCance DR, Dyer AR, Metzger BE, Lowe LP, Trimble ER, Coustan DR, Hadden DR (2012) The hyperglycemia and adverse pregnancy outcome study associations of GDM and obesity with pregnancy outcomes. Diabetes Care 35(4):780–786CrossRefPubMedCentralPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 7.Barakat R, Pelaez M, Lopez C, Lucia A, Ruiz JR (2013) Exercise during pregnancy and gestational diabetes-related adverse effects: a randomised controlled trial. Br J Sports Med 47(10):630–6Google Scholar
- 15.Giugliano E, Cagnazzo E, Giugliano B, Caserta D, Moscarini M, Marci R (2013) The prevention of gestational diabetes. J Diabetes Metab 4(7):286Google Scholar
- 17.Inzucchi S, Bergenstal R, Buse J, Diamant M, Ferrannini E, Nauck M, Peters A, Tsapas A, Wender R, Matthews D (2012) Management of hyperglycaemia in type 2 diabetes: a patient-centered approach. Position statement of the American Diabetes Association (ADA) and the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD). Diabetologia 55(6):1577–1596CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 18.Nathan DM, Buse JB, Davidson MB, Ferrannini E, Holman RR, Sherwin R, Zinman B (2009) Medical management of hyperglycemia in type 2 diabetes: a consensus algorithm for the initiation and adjustment of therapy a consensus statement of the American Diabetes Association and the European Association for the Study of Diabetes. Diabetes Care 32(1):193–203CrossRefPubMedCentralPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Dasari P, Habeebullah S Maternal and fetal outcome in gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) treated with diet and metformin-a preliminary retrospective analysis. Open Conf Proc J 2:59–63Google Scholar
- 22.Giannarelli R, Aragona M, Coppelli A, Del Prato S (2003) Reducing insulin resistance with metformin: the evidence today. Diabetes Metab 29(4):6S28–26S35Google Scholar
- 23.Marques P, Carvalho MR, Pinto L, Guerra S (2014) Metformin safety in the management of gestational diabetes. Endocr Pract 1(1):1–21Google Scholar
- 27.Su D, Wang X (2014) Metformin vs insulin in the management of gestational diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 104(3):353-357Google Scholar
- 30.Hasan JA, Karim N, Sheikh Z (2012) Metformin prevents macrosomia and neonatal morbidity in gestational diabetes. Pak J Med Sci 28(3):384–389Google Scholar
- 31.Liberati A, Altman DG, Tetzlaff J, Mulrow C, Gøtzsche PC, Ioannidis JP, Clarke M, Devereaux P, Kleijnen J, Moher D (2009) The PRISMA statement for reporting systematic reviews and meta-analyses of studies that evaluate health care interventions: explanation and elaboration. Ann Intern Med 151(4):W-65–W-94Google Scholar
- 32.Higgins JP, Green S, Collaboration C (2008) Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions, vol 5. Wiley Online Library, EuropeGoogle Scholar
- 34.Barrett HL, Gatford KL, Houda CM, De Blasio MJ, McIntyre HD, Callaway LK, Nitert MD, Coat S, Owens JA, Hague WM (2013) Maternal and neonatal circulating markers of metabolic and cardiovascular risk in the metformin in gestational diabetes (MiG) trial responses to maternal metformin versus insulin treatment. Diabetes Care 36(3):529–536CrossRefPubMedCentralPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 35.Barrett HL, Nitert MD, Jones L, O’Rourke P, Lust K, Gatford KL, De Blasio MJ, Coat S, Owens JA, Hague WM (2013) Determinants of maternal triglycerides in women with gestational diabetes mellitus in the metformin in gestational diabetes (MiG) study. Diabetes Care 36(7):1941–1946CrossRefPubMedCentralPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 38.Spaulonci CP, Bernardes LS, Trindade TC, Zugaib M, Francisco RPV (2013) Randomized trial of metformin vs insulin in the management of gestational diabetes. Am J Obstet Gynecol 209(1):34. e31–34. e37Google Scholar
- 39.Tertti K, Ekblad U, Koskinen P, Vahlberg T, Rönnemaa T (2013) Metformin vs. insulin in gestational diabetes. A randomized study characterizing metformin patients needing additional insulin. Diabetes Obes Metab 15(3):246–251Google Scholar