Care of children in a natural disaster: lessons learned from the Great East Japan earthquake and tsunami
The Great East Japan earthquake was one of the most devastating natural disasters ever to hit Japan. We present features of the disaster and the radioactive accident in Fukushima. About 19,000 are dead or remain missing mainly due to the tsunami, but children accounted for only 6.5 % of the deaths. The Japanese Society of Pediatric Surgeons set up the Committee of Aid for Disaster, and collaborated with the Japanese Society of Emergency Pediatrics to share information and provide pediatric medical care in the disaster area. Based on the lessons learned from the experiences, the role of pediatric surgeons and physicians in natural disasters is discussed.
KeywordsEarthquake Tsunami Nuclear accident Natural disaster Children
Successive pediatric medical care in Rikuzentakata was carried out through the efforts of Drs. Naoki Shimizu, Osamu Saito, and Koutarou Ichikawa of the Japanese Society of Emergency Pediatrics. The pediatric surgeons Mitsugu Owari, Katsuji Yamauchi, and Takuya Kosumi of Nara Hospital, Kinki University School of Medicine also involved. We are particularly grateful to Dr. and Director Mikihito Ishii and members of Iwate Prefectural Takata Hospital for their hospitality in Rikuzentakata. Finally, we would like to express our sincere appreciation and respect to all the people of the world who prayed for and donated to the victims.
- 3.Gnauck KA, Nufer NE, LaValley JM, Crandall CS, Craig FW, Wilson-Ramirez GB (2007) Do pediatric and adult disaster victims differ? A descriptive analysis of clinical encounters from four natural disaster DMAT deployments. Prehosp Disas Med 22:67–73Google Scholar
- 4.Fire and Disaster Management Agency of the Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communication (2012) Touhokuchihou Taiheiyouoki Jishin, Dai 143 Hou [Report on the Great East Japan Earthquake, No 143]. http://www.fdma.go.jp/bn/higaihou/pdf/jishin/143.pdf (Accessed Feb 6 2012)
- 5.Higashi Nihon Daishinsai Giseisya no Danjyo, Nenrei Kousei [Age and sex composition of mortality in the Great East Japan Earthquake] (2012) http://www2.ttcn.ne.jp/honkawa/4363f.html (Accessed Feb 6 2012)
- 7.Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare (2011) Background paper prepared for the upper house Tohoku reconstruction committee on 1st Aug 2011Google Scholar
- 12.IAEA (2013) Fukushima nuclear plant cleanup may take more than 40 years. http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/13/04/23/2139218/fukushima-nuclear-plant-cleanup-may-take-more-than-40-years (Accessed Apr 24 2013)
- 15.Murray JS (2010) Responding to the psychosocial needs of children and families in disasters. Crit Care Nurs 22:481–491Google Scholar