Impact of dual antiplatelet therapy with adjusted-dose prasugrel on mid-term vascular response in patients undergoing elective percutaneous coronary intervention with everolimus-eluting stents
- 65 Downloads
The impact of dual antiplatelet therapy (DAPT) with adjusted-dose (3.75 mg/day) prasugrel for Japanese patients has not been fully investigated in terms of local arterial healing following the elective percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI). The ROUTE-01 elective study was a prospective, 12-center and single-arm registry that enrolled 123 patients who underwent elective PCI with everolimus-eluting stents (EESs) under DAPT with a combination of adjusted-dose prasugrel and aspirin. Serial optical coherence tomography (OCT) was performed at the index PCI and 9-month follow-up to assess the relationship between in-stent thorombus (IST) and residual platelet reactivity measuring platelet reactivity unit (PRU). The patients were classified as extensive, intermediate, and poor metabolizers by cytochrome P450 2C19 (CYP2C19) loss-of-function polymorphisms. The prevalence of IST was 9.0% by 9-month OCT, with no difference amongst the three groups (p = 0.886). The incidences of malapposed and uncovered struts were not different among the groups. PRU was not statistically different among the groups. In multivariate logistic regression analysis, the independent predictor for IST on 9-month OCT was irregular protrusion (odds ratio = 8.952, p = 0.037) on post-PCI OCT, not CYP2C19 loss-of-function polymorphisms. An adequate anti-thrombotic effect with an acceptable incidence of IST was observed irrespective of CYP2C19 loss-of-function polymorphisms. Our data suggests that adjusted-dose prasugrel and aspirin is a feasible treatment option in Japanese patients treated with EESs in elective PCI.
KeywordsDual antiplatelet therapy Prasugrel Drug-eluting stent Optical coherence tomography Platelet reactivity
We acknowledge the support of the institutions that took part in the current study and appreciate the contributions of all the investigators and staff involved in this study.
The current study was sponsored by Daiichi Sankyo Co., Ltd. (Tokyo, Japan).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The current study was sponsored by Daiichi Sankyo Co., Ltd. (Tokyo, Japan). The authors declare the following interests: Toshiro Shinke, Hiromasa Otake and Junya Shite are medical advisors for Abbott Vascular Japan Co., Ltd. (Nagoya, Japan). Other authors have nothing to disclose regarding the current study.
- 1.Valgimigli M, Bueno H, Byrne RA, Collet JP, Costa F, Jeppsson A, Jüni P, Kastrati A, Kolh P, Mauri L, Montalescot G, Neumann FJ, Petricevic M, Roffi M, Steg PG, Windecker S, Zamorano JL, Levine GN, ESC Scientific Document Group (2018) 2017 ESC focused update on dual antiplatelet therapy in coronary artery disease developed in collaboration with EACTS. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 53:34–78CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 2.Levine GN, Bates ER, Bittl JA, Brindis RG, Fihn SD, Fleisher LA, Granger CB, Lange RA, Mack MJ, Mauri L, Mehran R, Mukherjee D, Newby LK, O'Gara PT, Sabatine MS, Smith PK, Smith SC Jr, Halperin JL, Levine GN, Al-Khatib SM, Birtcher KK, Bozkurt B, Brindis RG, Cigarroa JE, Curtis LH, Fleisher LA, Gentile F, Gidding S, Hlatky MA, Ikonomidis JS, Joglar JA, Pressler SJ, Wijeysundera DN (2016) 2016 ACC/AHA guideline focused update on duration of dual antiplatelet therapy in patients with coronary artery disease: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Clinical Practice Guidelines. J Am Coll Cardiol 68:1082–1115CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Collet JP, Hulot JS, Pena A, Villard E, Esteve JB, Silvain J, Payot L, Brugier D, Cayla G, Beygui F, Bensimon G, Funck-Brentano C, Montalescot G (2009) Cytochrome P450 2C19 polymorphism in young patients treated with clopidogrel after myocardial infarction: a cohort study. Lancet 373:309–317CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Isshiki T, Kimura T, Ogawa H, Yokoi H, Nanto S, Takayama M, Kitagawa K, Nishikawa M, Miyazaki S, Ikeda Y, Nakamura M, Saito S, PRASFIT-ElectiveInvestigators (2014) Prasugrel, a third-generation P2Y12 receptor antagonist, in patients with coronary artery disease undergoing elective percutaneous coronary intervention. Circ J 78:2926–2934CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Tearney GJ, Regar E, Akasaka T, Adriaenssens T, Barlis P, Bezerra HG, Bouma B, Bruining N, Cho JM, Chowdhary S, Costa MA, de Silva R, Dijkstra J, Di Mario C, Dudek D, Falk E, Feldman MD, Fitzgerald P, Garcia-Garcia HM, Gonzalo N, Granada JF, Guagliumi G, Holm NR, Honda Y, Ikeno F, Kawasaki M, Kochman J, Koltowski L, Kubo T, Kume T, Kyono H, Lam CC, Lamouche G, Lee DP, Leon MB, Maehara A, Manfrini O, Mintz GS, Mizuno K, Morel MA, Nadkarni S, Okura H, Otake H, Pietrasik A, Prati F, Räber L, Radu MD, Rieber J, Riga M, Rollins A, Rosenberg M, Sirbu V, Serruys PW, Shimada K, Shinke T, Shite J, Siegel E, Sonoda S, Suter M, Takarada S, Tanaka A, Terashima M, Thim T, Uemura S, Ughi GJ, van Beusekom HM, van der Steen AF, van Es GA, van Soest G, Virmani R, Waxman S, Weissman J, Weisz, International Working Group for Intravascular Optical Coherence Tomography (IWG-IVOCT) (2012) Consensus standards for acquisition, measurement, and reporting of intravascular optical coherence tomography studies: a report from the International Working Group for Intravascular Optical Coherence Tomography Standardization and Validation. J Am Coll Cardiol 59:1058–1072CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Nishio R, Shinke T, Otake H, Sawada T, Haraguchi Y, Shinohara M, Toh R, Ishida T, Nakagawa M, Nagoshi R, Kozuki A, Inoue T, Hariki H, Osue T, Taniguchi Y, Iwasaki M, Hiranuma N, Konishi A, Kinutani H, Shite J, Hirata K (2012) Effect of cytochrome P450 2C19 polymorphism on target lesion outcome after drug-eluting stent implantation in Japanese patients receiving clopidogrel. Circ J 76:2348–2355CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Konishi A, Shinke T, Otake H, Nishio R, Sawada T, Takaya T, Nakagawa M, Osue T, Taniguchi Y, Iwasaki M, Kinutani H, Masaru K, Takahashi H, Terashita D, Shite J, Hirata K (2015) Impact of cytochrome P450 2C19 loss-of-function polymorphism on intra-stent thrombi and lesion outcome after everolimus-eluting stent implantation compared to that after first-generation drug-eluting stent implantation. Int J Cardiol 179:476–483CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Patil SB, Jackman LE, Francis SE, Judge HM, Nylander S, Storey RF (2010) Ticagrelor effectively and reversibly blocks murine platelet P2Y12-mediated thrombosis and demonstrates a requirement for sustained P2Y12 inhibition to prevent subsequent neointima. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 30:2385–2391CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Soeda T, Uemura S, Park SJ, Jang Y, Lee S, Cho JM, Kim SJ, Vergallo R, Minami Y, Ong DS, Gao L, Lee H, Zhang S, Yu B, Saito Y, Jang IK (2015) Incidence and clinical significance of poststent optical coherence tomography findings: one-year follow-up study from a multicenter registry. Circulation 132:1020–1029CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Gonzalo N, Serruys PW, Okamura T, Shen ZJ, Onuma Y, Garcia-Garcia HM, Sarno G, Schultz C, van Geuns RJ, Ligthart J, Regar E (2009) Optical coherence tomography assessment of the acute effects of stent implantation on the vessel wall: a systematic quantitative approach. Heart 95:1913–1919CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Nakamura M, Isshiki T, Kimura T, Ogawa H, Yokoi H, Nanto S, Takayama M, Kitagawa K, Ikeda Y, Saito S (2015) Optimal cutoff value of P2Y12 reaction units to prevent major adverse cardiovascular events in the acute periprocedural period: post-hoc analysis of the randomized PRASFIT-ACS study. Int J Cardiol 182:541–548CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Cutlip DE, Windecker S, Mehran R, Boam A, Cohen DJ, van Es GA, Steg PG, Morel MA, Mauri L, Vranckx P, McFadden E, Lansky A, Hamon M, Krucoff MW, Serruys PW, Academic Research Consortium (2007) Clinical end points in coronary stent trials: a case for standardized definitions. Circulation 115:2344–2351CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Saito S, Isshiki T, Kimura T, Ogawa H, Yokoi H, Nanto S, Takayama M, Kitagawa K, Nishikawa M, Miyazaki S, Nakamura M (2014) Efficacy and safety of adjusted-dose prasugrel compared with clopidogrel in Japanese patients with acute coronary syndrome: the PRASFIT-ACS study. Circ J 78:1684–1692CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Mehran R, Rao SV, Bhatt DL, Gibson CM, Caixeta A, Eikelboom J, Kaul S, Wiviott SD, Menon V, Nikolsky E, Serebruany V, Valgimigli M, Vranckx P, Taggart D, Sabik JF, Cutlip DE, Krucoff MW, Ohman EM, Steg PG, White H (2011) Standardized bleeding definitions for cardiovascular clinical trials: a consensus report from the Bleeding Academic Research Consortium. Circulation 123:2736–2747CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Sugiyama T, Kimura S, Akiyama D, Hishikari K, Kawaguchi N, Kamiishi T, Hikita H, Takahashi A, Isobe M (2014) Quantitative assessment of tissue prolapse on optical coherence tomography and its relation to underlying plaque morphologies and clinical outcome in patients with elective stent implantation. Int J Cardiol 176:182–190CrossRefGoogle Scholar