Acquiring periodic tilings of regular polygons from images
- 121 Downloads
We describe how we have acquired geometrical models of many periodic tilings of regular polygons from two large collections of images. These models are based on a simplification of the representation recently proposed by us that uses complex numbers. We also describe an algorithm for deciding when two representations give the same tiling, which was used to identify coincidences in these collections.
KeywordsTilings Tessellations Geometrical models
We thank Sá and Sá and Galebach for making their collections of tilings freely available at their websites. The first author is partially supported by a CNPq doctoral scholarship. The third author is partially supported by a CNPq research grant. This research was done in the Visgraf Computer Graphics laboratory at IMPA. Visgraf is supported by the funding agencies FINEP, CNPq, and FAPERJ, and also by gifts from IBM Brasil, Microsoft, NVIDIA, and other companies.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 3.Conway, J.H., Burgiel, H., Goodman-Strauss, C.: The Symmetries of Things. CRC Press (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Galebach, B.: \(n\)-uniform tilings. http://probabilitysports.com/tilings.html
- 9.Kaplan, C.S.: Islamic star patterns from polygons in contact. In: Proceedings of the Graphics Interface 2005, pp. 177–185 (2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Kawarabayashi, K.I., Mohar, B.: Graph and map isomorphism and all polyhedral embeddings in linear time. In: STOC’08, pp. 471–480. ACM (2008)Google Scholar
- 12.Lenngren, N.: \(k\)-uniform tilings by regular polygons. Tech. Rep. U.U.D.M. project report 2009:23, Uppsala University (2009)Google Scholar
- 13.Liu, S., Ng, T., Sunkavalli, K., Do, M.N., Shechtman, E., Carr, N.: PatchMatch-based automatic lattice detection for near-regular textures. In: Proceedings of ICCV 2015, pp. 181–189 (2015)Google Scholar
- 17.Soto Sánchez, J.E., Sá, A.M., de Figueiredo, L.H.: Periodic tilings of regular polygons. http://www.impa.br/~cheque/tiling/
- 19.Sá, A.M., de Figueiredo, L.H., Soto Sánchez, J.E.: Synthesizing periodic tilings of regular polygons. In: Proceedings of SIBGRAPI 2018, pp. 17–24. IEEE Computer Press (2018)Google Scholar
- 20.Sá, R., Sá, A.M.: Sobre malhas arquimedianas. Editora Olhares, São Paulo (2017)Google Scholar
- 21.The On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences: A299780. https://oeis.org//A299780
- 22.Wikipedia: Euclidean tilings by convex regular polygons. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euclidean_tilings_by_convex_regular_polygons