A comparison of algorithms for vertex normal computation
- 516 Downloads
We investigate current vertex normal computation algorithms and evaluate their effectiveness at approximating analytically computable (and thus comparable) normals for a variety of classes of model. We find that the most accurate algorithm depends on the class and that for some classes, none of the available algorithms is particularly good. We also compare the relative speeds of all algorithms.
KeywordsVertex normals modeling rendering meshes
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Desbrun M, Meyer M, Schröder P, Barr A (1999) Implicit fairing of irregular meshes using diffusion and curvature flow. Proceedings of SIGGRAPH 99, pp 317–324Google Scholar
- 2.Ebert D et al. (1998) Texturing and modeling: a procedural approach, (2nd edn). Academic Press, San Diego, CAGoogle Scholar
- 3.Gouraud H (1971) Continuous shading of curved surfaces. IEEE Trans Comput C-20(6):623–629Google Scholar
- 5.Meyer M (2004) Discrete differential operators for computer graphics. Dissertation, California Institute of TechnologyGoogle Scholar
- 7.Overveld C, Wyvill B (1997) Phong normal interpolation revisited. ACM Trans Graph 16(4):379–419Google Scholar
- 8.Phillips M (2000) Geomview Manual. The Geometry Center, http://www.geomview.orgGoogle Scholar