The generalized preliminary test estimator when different sets of stochastic restrictions are available
- 131 Downloads
Arumairajan and Wijekoon (Commun Stat—Theor Methods, in press, 2014) proposed a generalized preliminary test stochastic restricted estimator (GPTSRE) to represent the preliminary test estimators when stochastic restrictions are available in addition to sample model. The aim of this paper is to define the GPTSRE when two different sets of competing stochastic restrictions are available. Moreover the conditions for superiority of GPTSRE based on one stochastic restriction over the other are derived with respect to mean square error (MSE) matrix criterion. Furthermore the estimator GPTSRE is theoretically compared with almost unbiased ridge estimator and almost unbiased Liu estimator in the MSE matrix sense. Finally a Monte Carlo simulation study and numerical example are done to illustrate the theoretical findings.
KeywordsStochastic restrictions Generalized preliminary test stochastic restricted estimator Mean square error matrix
Mathematics Subject ClassificationPrimary 62J07 Secondary 62F03
The authors are grateful to the anonymous referees and the Editor for their valuable comments and suggestions which helped to improve the quality of the article. We also thank the Postgraduate Institute of Science, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka for providing all facilities to do this research.
- Arashi M, Tabatabaey SMM, Iranmanesh Anis (2010) Improved estimation in stochastic linear models under elliptical symmetry. J Appl Probab Stat 5:145–160Google Scholar
- Arumairajan S, Wijekoon P (2014) Generalized preliminary test stochastic restricted estimator in the linear regression model. Commun Stat—Theor Methods (in press)Google Scholar
- Kacıranlar S, Sakallıoǧlu S, Akdeniz F, Styan GPH, Werner HJ (1999) A new biased estimator in linear regression and a detailed analysis of the widely analyzed dataset on Portland cement. Sankhyā Ser B 61:443–459Google Scholar
- Newhouse JP, Oman SD (1971). An evaluation of ridge estimators. Rand Report, No. R-716-Pr: pp. 1–28Google Scholar
- Wang SG et al (2006) Matrix inequalities, 2nd edn. Chinese Science Press, BeijingGoogle Scholar
- Wijekoon P (1990). Mixed estimation and preliminary test estimation in the linear regression model. Ph.D. Thesis, University of DortmundGoogle Scholar