Rogue waves during Typhoon Trami in the East China Sea
- 22 Downloads
As concluded from physical theory and laboratory experiment, it is widely accepted that nonlinearities of sea state play an important role in the formation of rogue waves; however, the sea states and corresponding nonlinearities of real-world rogue wave events remain poorly understood. Three rogue waves were recorded by a directional buoy located in the East China Sea during Typhoon Trami in August 2013. This study used the WAVEWATCH III model to simulate the sea state conditions pertaining to when and where those rogue waves were observed, based on which a comprehensive and full-scale analysis was performed. From the perspectives of wind and wave fields, wave system tracking, High-Order Spectral method simulation, and some characteristic sea state parameters, we concluded that the rogue waves occurred in sea states dominated by second-order nonlinearities. Moreover, third-order modulational instabilities were suppressed in these events because of the developed or fully developed sea state determined by the typhoon wave system. The method adopted in this study can provide comprehensive and full-scale analysis of rogue waves in the real world. The case studied in this paper is not considered unique, and rules could be found and confirmed in relation to other typhoon sea states through the application of our proposed method.
Keywordrogue wave wave system tracking High-Order Spectral method nonlinear effect
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ardhuin F, Rogers W, Babanin A V, Filipot J F, Magne R, Roland A, van der Westhuysen A, Queffeulou P, Lefevre J M, Aouf L, Collard F. 2010. Semiempirical dissipation source functions for ocean waves. Part I: definition, calibration, and validation. J. Phys. Oceanogr., 40(9): 1917–1941.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Devaliere E M, Hanson J L, Luettich R. 2009. Spatial tracking of numerical wave model output using a spiral search algorithm. In: Proceedings of 2009 WRI World Congress on Computer Science and Information Engineering. IEEE, Angeles, CA, USA. p. 404–408, https://doi.org/10.1109/CSIE.2009.1021.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Dysthe K, Krogstad H E, Müller P. 2008. Oceanic rogue waves. Annu. Rev. Fluid Mech., 40: 287–310, https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.fluid.40.111406.102203.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- ECMWF. 2016. Part VII: ECMWF Wave Model. IFS Documentation CY43R1, https://www.ecmwf.int/node/17120.
- Goda Y. 1970. Numerical experiments on wave statistics with spectral simulation. Rep. Port Harb. Res. Inst., 9(3): 3–57.Google Scholar
- Hanson J L, Jensen R E. 2004. Wave system diagnostics for numerical wave models. In: Proceedings of the 8th International Workshop on Wave Hindcasting and Forecasting Turtle Bay Resort. Coastal and Hydraulics Laboratory, Oahu, Hawaii.Google Scholar
- Hasselmann S, Hasselmann K, Allender J H, Barnett T P. 1985. Computations and parameterizations of the nonlinear energy transfer in a gravity-wave specturm. Part II: parameterizations of the nonlinear energy transfer for application in wave models. J. Phys. Oceanogr., 15(11): 1 378–1 391.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- In K, Waseda T, Kiyomatsu K, Tamura H, Miyazawa Y, Iyama K. 2009. Analysis of a marine accident and freak wave prediction with an operational wave model. In: Proceedings of the 19th International Offshore and Polar Engineering Conference. SPE, Osaka, Japan. p. 877–883.Google Scholar
- Janssen P A E M. 2018. Shallow-water version of the Freak Wave Warning System. ECMWF Tech. Memo., 813. https://www.ecmwf.int/en/elibrary/18063-shallow-water-version-freak-wave-warning-system.
- Janssen P A E M, Bidlot J R. 2009. On the extension of the freak wave warning system and its verification. ECMWF Tech. Memo., 588. https://www.ecmwf.int/en/elibrary/10243-extension-freak-wave-warning-system-and-its-verification.
- Saha S et al. 2011. NCEP Climate Forecast System Version 2 (CFSv2) selected hourly time-series products. Research data archive at the national center for atmospheric research, computational and information systems laboratory, https://doi.org/10.5065/D6N877VB. Accessed 28 May 2018.
- Tayfun M A, Lo J M. 1990. Nonlinear effects on wave envelope and phase. J. Waterw. Port, Coastal, Ocean Eng., 116(1): 79–100, https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-950X(1990)116:1(79).CrossRefGoogle Scholar