CW DFB RT diode laser-based sensor for trace-gas detection of ethane using a novel compact multipass gas absorption cell
The development of a continuous wave, thermoelectrically cooled (TEC), distributed feedback diode laser-based spectroscopic trace-gas sensor for ultra-sensitive and selective ethane (C2H6) concentration measurements is reported. The sensor platform used tunable diode laser absorption spectroscopy (TDLAS) and wavelength modulation spectroscopy as the detection technique. TDLAS was performed using an ultra-compact 57.6 m effective optical path length innovative spherical multipass cell capable of 459 passes between two mirrors separated by 12.5 cm and optimized for the 2.5–4 μm range TEC mercury–cadmium–telluride detector. For an interference-free C2H6 absorption line located at 2,976.8 cm−1, a 1σ minimum detection limit of 740 pptv with a 1 s lock-in amplifier time constant was achieved.
- 1.S.G. So, D. Chang, O. Al’Rifai, G. Wysocki, A.A. Kosterev, F.K. Tittel, CLEO/QELS (2008)Google Scholar
- 2.C.J. Smith, S. So, G. Wysocki, CLEO/QELS (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.J.A. Silver, Appl. Optics 31(6) (1992)Google Scholar
- 12.S. So, D. Thomazy, CLEO 2012: Science and innovations, CW3B (2012)Google Scholar
- 13.G.S. Engel, E.J. Moyer, Opt. Lett. 32(6), 704–706 (2007) Google Scholar
- 15.S. Schilt, F.K. Tittel, K.P. Petrov, Encycl. Analyt. Chem. (2011). doi:10.1002/9780470027318.a0707.pub2