Ethylene and ammonia traces measurements from the patients’ breath with renal failure via LPAS method
- 267 Downloads
The application of laser photoacoustic spectroscopy (LPAS) for fast and precise measurements of breath biomarkers has opened up new promises for monitoring and diagnostics in recent years, especially because breath test is a non-invasive method, safe, rapid and acceptable to patients. Our study involved assessment of breath ethylene and breath ammonia levels in patients with renal failure receiving haemodialysis (HD) treatment. Breath samples from healthy subjects and from patients with renal failure were collected using chemically inert aluminized bags and were subsequently analyzed using the LPAS technique. We have found out that the composition of exhaled breath in patients with renal failure contains not only ethylene, but also ammonia and gives valuable information for determining efficacy and endpoint of HD.
Analysis of ethylene and ammonia traces from the human breath may provide insight into severity of oxidative stress and metabolic disturbances and may ensure optimal therapy and prevention of pathology at patients on continuous HD.
KeywordsBreath Test Ethylene Concentration Breath Sample Photoacoustic Signal Breath Analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M.H. Hubert, Ultra Lasertech Inc., 1 (1983) Google Scholar
- 11.G. Giubileo, Proceedings of SPIE 4762 (2002) Google Scholar
- 14.D.C. Dumitras, D.C. Dutu, C. Matei, A. Magureanu, M. Petrus, C. Popa, J. Optoelectron. Adv. Mater. 9, 3655 (2007) Google Scholar
- 15.D.C. Dumitras, D.C. Dutu, C. Matei, A.M. Magureanu, M. Petrus, C. Popa, M. Patachia, Rom. Rep. Phys. 60, 593 (2008) Google Scholar
- 18.D.C. Dumitras, D.C. Dutu, C. Matei, A.M. Magureanu, M. Petrus, C. Popa, Sci. Bull. - “Politeh.” Univ. Buchar., Ser. a Appl. Math. Phys. 69, 45 (2007) Google Scholar
- 19.R. Cernat, C. Matei, A.M. Bratu, C. Popa, D.C.A. Dutu, M. Patachia, M. Petrus, S. Banita, D.C. Dumitras, Rom. Rep. Phys. 62, 617 (2010) Google Scholar