Photo- and thermally induced property change in Ag diffusion into Ag/As2Se3 thin films
- 100 Downloads
In the present report, we have prepared As2Se3 and bilayer Ag/As2Se3 chalcogenide thin films prepared by thermal evaporation process. The top Ag layer is being diffused into the bottom As2Se3 layer by 532 nm laser irradiation and thermal annealing process. The photo and thermal energy drives the Ag+ ions into the As2Se3 matrix that enhances the formation of As–Se–Ag solid solution which shows the changes of optical properties such as transmission, absorption power, refractive index, and optical band gap. The transmission power drastically decreased for the thermal-induced film than the laser induced one; and the reverse effect is seen for the absorption coefficient. The non-linear refractive index is found to be increased due to the Ag diffusion into As2Se3 film. The indirect allowed optical band gap is being reduced by a significant amount of 0.17 eV (thermal diffusion) and 0.03 eV (photo diffusion) from the Ag/As2Se3 film. The Ag diffusion creates chemical disorderness in the film observed from the two parameters which measures the degree of disorder such as Urbach energy and Tauc parameter. The structural change is not noticed in the studied film as seen from the X-ray diffraction pattern. Scanning electron microscopy and atomic force microscopy investigations showed that the surface morphology was influenced by the diffusion phenomena. The change in optical constants in such type of film can be used in optical waveguides and optical devices.
The authors thank Board of Research in Nuclear Science (BRNS) for financial support (No. 37(3)/14/02/2016-BRNS/37016) and Department of Physics, Indian Institute of Science (IISc.) for SEM study. The authors thank Mr. Shuvendu Jena of Atomic and Molecular Physics Division, BARC for his help for AFM measurement.
- 5.T. Wagner, M. Frumar, S.O. Kasap et al., New Ag-containing amorphous chalcogenide thin films-prospective materials for rewriteable optical memories. J. Optoelectron. Adv. Mater. 3, 227 (2001)Google Scholar
- 23.T. Kawaguchi, A.V. Kolobov (ed.), Photo induced Metastability in Amorphous Semiconductors (Wiley, Berlin, 2003), p. 182Google Scholar
- 44.J. Tauc, Amorphous and Liquid Semiconductors. (Plenum Press, NewYork, 1979)Google Scholar
- 47.N.F. Mott, E.A. Davis, Electronics Processes in Non-crystalline Materials (Clarendon, Oxford, 1979), p. 428Google Scholar
- 55.E.R. Shaaban, M.A. Kaid, E.L.S. Moustafa,et al, Effect of compositional variations on the optical properties of Sb–Ge–Se thin films. Appl. Phys. 41, 125301 (2008)Google Scholar
- 56.K. Petkov, R. Todorov, J. Tasseva et al., Structure, linear and non-linear optical properties of thin AsxSe1–x films. J. Optoelectron. Adv. Mater. 11, 2083–2093 (2011)Google Scholar