Photo-electrochemical studies of chemically deposited nanocrystalline meso-porous n-type TiO2 thin films for dye-sensitized solar cell (DSSC) using simple synthesized azo dye
- 288 Downloads
Nanocrystalline titanium dioxide (TiO2) thin films were deposited by successive ionic layer adsorption and reaction method onto fluorine doped tin oxide coated glass substrate at room temperature (300 K). Titanium trichloride and sodium hydroxide were used as cationic and anionic sources, respectively. The as-deposited and annealed films were characterized for structural, morphological, optical, electrical and wettability properties. The photoelectrochemical study of TiO2 sensitized with a laboratory synthesized organic dye (azo) was evaluated in the polyiodide electrolyte at 40 mW cm−2 light illumination intensity. The photovoltaic characteristics show a fill factor of 0.24 and solar conversion efficiency value of 0.032 % for a TiO2 thickness of 0.96 µm as compared to efficiency of 0.014 % for rose Bengal of the same thickness.
KeywordsTiO2 Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy TiO2 Film Constant Phase Element TiO2 Thin Film
Authors are grateful to Thin Film Physics Laboratory, Department of Physics, Shivaji University, Kolhapur, (M.S.) India.
- 3.M.K. Nazeeruddin, A. Kay, I. Rodicio, H. Baker, E. Mueller, P. Liska, N. Vlachopoulos, M. Graetzel, Conversion of light to electricity by cis-X2bis(2,2′-bipyridyl-4,4′- dicarboxylate)ruthenium(II) charge-transfer sensitizers (X = Cl−, Br−, I−, CN−, and SCN−) on nanocrystalline titanium dioxide electrodes. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 115, 6382–6390 (1993)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.H.N. Tian, X.C. Yang, R.K. Chen, Y.Z. Pan, L. Li, A. Hagfeldt, L.C. Sun, Phenothiazine derivatives for efficient organic dye-sensitized solar cells. Chem. Commun. 3741–3743 (2007)Google Scholar
- 16.S. Ito, S.M. Zakeeruddin, R. Humphry-Baker, P. Liska, R. Charvet, P. Comte, M.K. Nazeeruddin, P. Péchy, M. Takata, H. Miura, S. Uchida, M. Grätzel, High-efficiency organic-dye-sensitized solar cells controlled by nanocrystalline-TiO2 electrode thickness. Adv. Mater. 18(9), 1202–1205 (2006)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.A. Yella, R.H. Baker, B.F.E. Curchod, N. Ashari Astani, J. Teuscher, L.E. Polander, S. Mathew, J.E. Moser, I. Tavernelli, U. Rothlisberger, M. Grätzel, M.K. Nazeeruddin, J. Frey, Molecular engineering of a fluorene donor for dye-sensitized solar cells. Chem. Mater. 25, 2733–2739 (2013)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 28.A.H. Mayabadi, A.H. Mayabadi, V.S. Waman, M.M. Kamble, S.S. Ghosha, B.B. Gabhalea, S.R. Rondiya, A.V. Rokade, S.S. Khadtare, V.G. Sathe, H.M. Pathan, S.W. Gosavi, S.R. Jadkar, Evolution of structural and optical properties of rutile TiO2 thin films synthesized at room temperature by chemical bath deposition method. J. Phys. Chem. Solids (2013). doi: 10.1016/j.jpcs.2013.09.008i Google Scholar
- 32.A.A. Sharma, M. Kasem, E. Ali, M.E. Moustafa, Synthesis and characterization of some new azo compounds based on 2,4-dihydroxy benzoic acid. J. Basic Environ. Sci. 1, 76–85 (2014)Google Scholar
- 34.M. Anpo, P. V. Kamat (eds), Environmentally benign photocatalysts, nanostructure sci. and tech., Springer Sci and Bus. Media LLC, (2010) NatureGoogle Scholar